Colombia - Prices etc

davonz

Registered
There has been alot of talk on here over the last couple of years about people wanting to move from BSAS and maybe heading to colombia (Lee comes to mind), i am here at the moment checking it out so here are some prices..

Apt rentals - shared with own room in medellin (poblabo area) US$150 /m, studio US$250 to $350.. Dont know about larger places, as these prices are from people (expats) who i have meet and are living in medellin..

If you love fruit and veges - this places is heaven. The quality is great, they are fresh, and cheap.

From exito supermarket:

US$1 = COL 1,900

Bananas - 900 / kg
Mango - 1,100 / kg
Guava - 1,130 /kg

Salted Peanuts 200gms - 2,850
Yoghurt - 200 gm pot - 870
Milk 1 lt bag - 1,600
Instant coffee (caramel flavour) 50g jar - 4,270 (the plain coffee is alot cheaper)
Bran flakes with fruit bits (raisins/pawpaw/apple) - 9,500
Granola cereal with friut bits - 4,980
Pastries are usually around 1,000 each, the ones i buy are usually filled with jam or cheese..
Soft drinks - coke etc are from 1,300 to 2,000 for a glass bottle at a restaurant. The small plastic bottle (600ml i think) is usually around 3,000 to 5,000.
A small bottle of beer is also the same as coke, but a 600ml from supermarket is 1,700.

The supermarkets here are like western one, with a good range of food, with things like cereal and bread having a much better selection than argentina, and lot cheaper.

The above is all i have purchased over that last week, as i eat out at night. I usually have fish, and have paid anything from 4,000 to 38,000 (at an up market restaurant in cartagena). Usually i get a whole fish, salad, coconut rice, and fries - usually banana as i like, and often some sort of beans..

Transport:

Buses are usually around 10,000 per hour, but can be cheaper on longer distances or routes that have lots of competition on.

Flights are quite cheap if booked in advance ( a couple of weeks to a month). The flight from cartagena to cali was US$83 one way. Medellin to Cartagena US$50. From flights i have taken in argentina, they are alot cheaper here, and the locals pay the same price as everyone else.

The few taxis i have taken have been alot cheaper than BSAS 5 to 10 min ride 3,000 to 5,000..

I loved Colombia although doing the currency conversion made my brain hurt! :) Taking out a few hundred thousand pesos for spending money seemed very wrong.. lol Glad you're enjoying it. How is Cali? Didn't make it there but have a friend from there who raves about it.

I am heading to cali now. I went from bogota to santa marta, then down the caribbean coast to tolú and to medellin.. and now heading to cali and the ecuador boarder.

I have put medellin because it is clean, has a metro, and i like it better than bogota, and seems to be popular with expats.

The locals are very friendly here, and honest, i havent had one bad experience - even had a taxi driver come back and return money as i had over paid..

I didn't have great experiences with the taxis in Bogota. Actually or in Cartagena now that I'm thinking about it. There seemed to be a rather large variance in the rates and no meters (just that chart) which I found hard to use.

Thanks so much for this info|! We are thinking of travelling around columbia for a month in february so it is very useful :)

good recon!
Do we know of any forums similar to this one that are geared for expats in Colombia?

there was poorbuthappy.com/colombia before

colombia kicks argentina in the ass easy as most of other latin countries do

I found out something interesting today.. colombia doesnt have taxes on computers, the reasoning being that they want as many people to buy as possible, so the country becomes more tech savvy..
I did see some laptops at the supermarket, and they didnt seem that much more expensive than the states - netbooks from around US$350 and dells dual cores, 15" screen, 4gb ram from around $700.. But a friend had a look at spec's of a couple acer and asus ultrabooks - now models out, and said it was cheaper than norway by about 25%.. i dont know if norway is expensive for computers though..

Great to see GOOD words about Colombia and its safety. I spent 7 months there in 1987 travelling on public transport without a hitch (almost), was back there in 90, 91 and 93 the last time. Think I'll take my family for a trip around Colombia some time soon, visiting Popayan, Medellin, Cartagena and Santa Marta for starters.

Back