Colonia 90 days almost not extended accidentaly?

I suggest smiling at the immigration official rather than looking worried. They deal with foreigners on a daily basis and know that we are living in the country without having to work.

I have taken the fast boat to Colonia 37 times over the past 11 years. My passport is full of entry and exit stamps. I prefer the day trip to Colonia for 218 pesos rather than dealing with immigration. I have no reason to apply for temporary residence to get a DNI, so I will continue the Colonia trips.

Immigration would prefer that we renew the visa with them every six months so they can collect 300 pesos from us. I renewed only a few times that way when there was a 100 peso fee. Colonia is my preferred form of visa renewal. After all these years, I look forward to it.

I went to Colonia on Saturday - got the midday boat there came off and went straight through immigration again and back on the boat within an hour. Four hours there and back. The Argentina immigration guy on the way out was more begrudging than usual and flipped through my passport quite a few times before stamping (I had 2 days left - he said I was cutting it fine). On the other side, the Uruguay guy was the unhappy one who flipped through my passport and asked me if I lived in Argentina etc, whilst the Argentina guy happily stamped me another 90 days. I think they had extra boats laid on for Easter hence I could make the round trip in 4 hours - and the wifi worked on the boat so I got some work done whilst I was at it.

quick question - my 90 days will be up next week, but I have a trip planned the following week out of the country already. What will happen if I don't do the trip to Colonia next week? Is it just a fine (and if so how much)? Will they let me leave the country? Will they not let me back again? Are there other better options?
Thx!

Back