Colonia money run via Buquebus - A quick review

@JeffR onboard experience definitely depends on the ship. On the trip to Colonia I was on the Buquebus ferry "Francisco" which is a newer catamaran. The onboard experience was pretty sleek and modern, and the business class seats were huge with lots of space between each individual seat. The business class section had its own food and drink bar as well. The return journey was on the ferry "Silvia Ana," which is a much older ferry. No food and drink bar, and the business class seats were 3x3 airline style, although larger and less cramped than tourist class. The experience on the "Silvia Ana" felt less "luxe" and much more dated.

I can confirm though that business class got priority disembarkation in Buenos Aires, which was fantastic. I was concerned at first, because the business class section on the "Silvia Ana" is at the front of the ship and you have to navigate through tourist class to get to it (i.e. tourist class passengers are much closer to the exits when the ferry arrives in Buenos Aires). This differs from the ferry "Francisco" where you can board and disembark directly to and from business class without ever having to enter the tourist class spaces. However, once we arrived in Buenos Aires, the "Silvia Ana" staff basically formed a gauntlet down the walkways, preventing tourist class passengers from leaving their seats and allowing the business class passengers to be first in line for immigration.

The ferry was pretty crowded as it was a late afternoon return from Colonia, and I would not have wanted to have been deep in the tourist class line for immigration, there were easily several hundred passengers. I could easily see myself being in line for at least an hour and probably much longer during high season. As I was one of the first few off the boat, I was able to process through immigration in about 8 minutes from the time I entered the queue.

I just looked at a random weekday a couple of weeks out and the difference in cost between tourist and business class is $9 USD each way. For me that's worth it just for the priority immigration processing in Buenos Aires alone. There's definitely more added value on the way to Colonia since the Buenos Aires departure terminal has a priority check-in line, VIP lounge, and priority boarding. Less added value on the return trip because the Colonia departure terminal does not have a priority check-in line, VIP lounge, or priority boarding, so you have to wait and queue with everyone else. In Colonia, about 20 minutes before boarding even started a few hundred tourist class passengers formed a huge line to get onboard as fast as possible to get the best seats. I just sat and waited until everyone else was finished and boarded last - the business class section was only half full, so I still had a row of seats all to myself.

@darksider415 - I agree on Colonia being super expensive, especially restaurants. First bistro I went to on arrival day, one beer and two small snack/tapas size burritos was $22. Dinner the first night at a brewpub came out to $50 for two beers, a small cheese plate appetizer, and a not very good entree of roast beef and sweet potatoes. Lunch on departure day was $33 for one beer and a small bowl of shrimp pasta. After spending $100 in less than 24 hours on restaurant food for just myself, I was super ready to get the heck out of there and return to BA. Lovely town and still had a great time, but the prices are ridiculous.

I should also mention in case anyone stumbles into this thread in the future, there doesn't seem to be any benefit to buying Buquebus tickets in Argentine pesos, as was discussed in this previous thread ( https://baexpats.org/threads/cant-book-colonia-express.45461/ ). Buquebus seem to have adjusted the ARS prices to compensate.

For example, if you book via buquebus.com, tickets are sold in ARS. A trip to Colonia two weeks from now on October 12th is ARS 34.173 (tourist class) or ARS 43.710 (business class), which at the current MEP rate translates to roughly $48.75 USD (tourist class) or $62.35 (business class).

However, if you book via intl.buquebus.com, tickets are sold in USD and the prices are the same or even cheaper. For example, the same tickets on the same dates are $44 (tourist class) and $53 (business class). So for a business class ticket you actually save almost $10 by booking through the "International" website and paying in USD instead.

The ARS prices on the main website may be inflated online only though, probably to counteract foreign credit card users. The ARS prices buying tickets in person at the BA terminal could possibly be cheaper than what they are charging online.

Thank you for the info Obi! Re Colonia prices, that was my experience as well. When I visited last November, Colonia prices were actually higher than Punta del Este.

@JeffR onboard experience definitely depends on the ship. On the trip to Colonia I was on the Buquebus ferry "Francisco" which is a newer catamaran. The onboard experience was pretty sleek and modern, and the business class seats were huge with lots of space between each individual seat. The business class section had its own food and drink bar as well. The return journey was on the ferry "Silvia Ana," which is a much older ferry. No food and drink bar, and the business class seats were 3x3 airline style, although larger and less cramped than tourist class. The experience on the "Silvia Ana" felt less "luxe" and much more dated.

I can confirm though that business class got priority disembarkation in Buenos Aires, which was fantastic. I was concerned at first, because the business class section on the "Silvia Ana" is at the front of the ship and you have to navigate through tourist class to get to it (i.e. tourist class passengers are much closer to the exits when the ferry arrives in Buenos Aires). This differs from the ferry "Francisco" where you can board and disembark directly to and from business class without ever having to enter the tourist class spaces. However, once we arrived in Buenos Aires, the "Silvia Ana" staff basically formed a gauntlet down the walkways, preventing tourist class passengers from leaving their seats and allowing the business class passengers to be first in line for immigration.

The ferry was pretty crowded as it was a late afternoon return from Colonia, and I would not have wanted to have been deep in the tourist class line for immigration, there were easily several hundred passengers. I could easily see myself being in line for at least an hour and probably much longer during high season. As I was one of the first few off the boat, I was able to process through immigration in about 8 minutes from the time I entered the queue.

I just looked at a random weekday a couple of weeks out and the difference in cost between tourist and business class is $9 USD each way. For me that's worth it just for the priority immigration processing in Buenos Aires alone. There's definitely more added value on the way to Colonia since the Buenos Aires departure terminal has a priority check-in line, VIP lounge, and priority boarding. Less added value on the return trip because the Colonia departure terminal does not have a priority check-in line, VIP lounge, or priority boarding, so you have to wait and queue with everyone else. In Colonia, about 20 minutes before boarding even started a few hundred tourist class passengers formed a huge line to get onboard as fast as possible to get the best seats. I just sat and waited until everyone else was finished and boarded last - the business class section was only half full, so I still had a row of seats all to myself.

@darksider415 - I agree on Colonia being super expensive, especially restaurants. First bistro I went to on arrival day, one beer and two small snack/tapas size burritos was $22. Dinner the first night at a brewpub came out to $50 for two beers, a small cheese plate appetizer, and a not very good entree of roast beef and sweet potatoes. Lunch on departure day was $33 for one beer and a small bowl of shrimp pasta. After spending $100 in less than 24 hours on restaurant food for just myself, I was super ready to get the heck out of there and return to BA. Lovely town and still had a great time, but the prices are ridiculous.
Great news that the Francisco ferry travels to Colonia..! Formerly did travel only to Montevideo.

Great news that the Francisco ferry travels to Colonia..! Formerly did travel only to Montevideo.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buquebus - I'm sure the ferries sometimes get shuffled around because of maintenance and whatnot. Looks like there's nine Buquebus ferries if the Wiki article is accurate. Don't think there's any way to know which ferry you're on head of time, especially if you're booking weeks in advance.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buquebus - I'm sure the ferries sometimes get shuffled around because of maintenance and whatnot. Looks like there's nine Buquebus ferries if the Wiki article is accurate. Don't think there's any way to know which ferry you're on head of time, especially if you're booking weeks in advance.
I think the Wikipedia link lists every rusting hulk in the Buquebus fleet :) Some of them in the harbour at Puerto Madero haven't moved for years, at least not as long as I've been here, and some of the others are small river boats doing the 3-hour run to Carmelo from Tigre (which is absolutely worth doing).

Back