Colonia

They have only a few boats, if one is out of service there can be delays. Remember their port facility is not near Buquebus, but much farther down the waterfront, past P. Madero and near Boca...

Here is a google map showing the dock..

http://tinyurl.com/mbgkm6

Reactions: Joe
Buquebus also has day trips for about 130 Pesos. The tour is okay, the lunch not so much. Watch out when walking across that bridge into the historic center. Last time I went, some guy fell down and landed on the rocks below. According to our tour guide that happens quite frequently!

I would be up for going. I don't need to renew my visa but I would like to Colonnia. Let me know if you need a travel buddy.

aguia said:
I would be up for going. I don't need to renew my visa but I would like to Colonnia. Let me know if you need a travel buddy.

Definitely. I was planning on going Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Sounds like Buquebus might be a better choice then Colonia Express. Anyone else that wants to tag along - the more the merrier! :)

Joe said:
I'm doing my first visa renewal next week. I was looking to buy online with ColoniaExpress. They have a day tour for $130. Has anyone tried that? It includes round trip, lunch and a tour.

Any recommendations for alternatives?

Anyone else need to do a visa run next week?

A$R or US$? We went once & basically you only have time for lunch & a quick tour anyway. If you are alone, why not? If you are with someone else you could rent those little golf cart type things or a vespa. The little carts looked like fun. But I don't know how much they were.

Napoleon said:
Make sure you see CHRIST while you're there.

n567077537_1455045_2570.jpg
:D I have that exact photo from when we went there!

We planned to spend a long weekend there, but--lovely as it is--we ended up travelling to Montevideo on the second day. Depending on what you are looking for, I would say that a day and a night is a good amount of time to enjoy Colonia.

I have been to Colonia more than 30 times and always take the one-hour Buquebus. You can buy your e-ticket in advance on their site and print a copy after paying for it with a credit card. They are always on time. Their new terminal at Puerto Madero near Retiro is easy to get to by bus and walking. Check in at 10:30 for the fast boat leaves Buenos Aires at 11:30. You have four hours to walk around, eat, do whatever, and then get back to the terminal around 4:30 for the 5:30 departure. I go to the park on the main street where I read a book.

ColoniaExpress has been in business only two years. I tried once to buy a ticket through their website, but it wouldn't allow me to purchase a return trip on the same day. That, in addition to the location of the boat in La Boca, is reason enough to continue going by Buquebus. Colonia is not worth seeing any longer than a few hours, since you get to go every six months.

Buquebus fare hasn't been increased from what it was ten years ago. It's tied to the dollar and has always been $70.

My visa expires July 18, so I'm going this week to Migraciones for an extension.

i have purchased some very pretty, well i like them, furry leather throw rugs in colonia and in montevideo. beautifully soft and nicely made i believe from goat. they stitch together small pieces in different colors to form rather intricat rounds or rectangles of geometric designs. i recently paid from us$ 10 to 25 each for several as they great for next to the bed or bath or entry way. in colonia i walked a bit into away from the historic district into the regular town for them.

jantango said:
Buquebus fare hasn't been increased from what it was ten years ago. It's tied to the dollar and has always been $70.

My visa expires July 18, so I'm going this week to Migraciones for an extension.

Thanks Jan,

the $70 - Pesos? - One way?

Do you need a printer to buy on line or can you show your ID/passport like for an airline ticket?

I think I saw in some other thread that Migraciones was closed until ? because of Swine Flu.

Back