Coming In April - Do I Have It Right?

whyphilip

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'll be coming from LA to BA for a couple months in April. I've never been, but several friends have (including a good Argentinian friend), and I've done this exact thing in Bangkok, Cebu City, Tokyo, Kyiv, and Prague. So I'm not too worried, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could confirm my research.

After reading through the posts here and elsewhere, it seems Recoleta is the most popular expat spot. I'm planning on getting a place from Airbnb, and $1300-1500USD seems reasonable. Is there any particular area within that I'd want to avoid? Or prefer? I won't have a car, so obviously near a metro station and a supermarket, but any other considerations?

Second, I'm a developer working from home, so good internet is important. Biggest concern is reliable use of Skype/Gotomeeting. I've heard that can be a real challenge in BA. People mentioned Fibretel, assuming that's the best. I know with renting a place I won't have much control, but in the past I've made sure the landlord had a good provider and paid them to upgrade internet for a couple months.

And Personal is the top choice for phone/mobile internet? It always seems best to get the prepaid SIM card from the best local provider, but I could switch to Google Fi if that's better.

Thanks much for your help!

Cheers,
Philip

Phillips

1500 usd a month is a decent budget.

Look for a apartment in Palermo near Palermo Subte station Line D.

Fibretel is the best but its a hit or a miss..No fault of yr landlord eventually.

Yes, Personal is OK but beware of them eating on yr pre-paid balances by using unique ways.

Hey Phil,

Sent you a pm with two apt that might interest you.

Here's the BA Subway map. http://mapa-metro.com/mapas/Buenos%20Aires/mapa-metro-subte-buenos-aires.jpg

I think the H line has an entrance on Las Heras & Pueyrredon. Don't know if it's up & running yet.

This is the updated map of the subway. Click on "descarga el mapa" to download.

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/subte/mapa-y-combinaciones

If you are looking for nearby nightlife I would choose Palermo. Recoleta is quieter. The subway is accessible from both places and you won't need a car in neither. And once you get comfortable, the buses are even more convenient than the subway system. There are plenty of supermarkets and local green grocers, butchers, bakeries, practically on every block in either neighborhood.

Your internet connection will be hit or miss. Sorry.

I have a Claro chip in my phone. I really don't think there is much of a difference in providers.

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

I use this page- it will let you see bus routes and subte from any point to any other point.
http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/buenos-aires/colectivos/
I would agree Recoleta is not the best.
If it was me, I would not want to be in the middle of Palermo Soho-
I would be looking between Cordoba and Santa Fe, from Puyerredon to Scalabrini- barrio norte, basically- its central, safe and nice, but not as expensive or noisy as Recoleta or the restaurant/club zone of Palermo.
If you knew the city better, I would be thinking Villa Crespo or Chacarita, but for a first time, maybe not so good.

If it was me, I would not want to be in the middle of Palermo Soho-
I would be looking between Cordoba and Santa Fe, from Puyerredon to Scalabrini- barrio norte, basically- its central, safe and nice, but not as expensive or noisy as Recoleta or the restaurant/club zone of Palermo.

I agree but he wants to stay close to a metro stop, and that'd leave him in the area around Plaza Güemes, which is not so young or hip. If you look on the map, the best part is opposite to the metro line (shaded in pink on Google Maps)

Schermata_2017_02_14_alle_19_09_15.png

Back