Compulsory school attendance

vamonos2012

Registered
We will arrive in BsAs in September with our kids (3 and 4 y.o.) and wondered how the Argentinian law was regarding compulsory attendance at school, how kinder gardens and pre school are organized.

Any info is very welcome!

Pascal

I believe school is required at 5.

My experience is there is day care for kids to about 3. Then 3,4, and 5 there is jardin infante which is like nursery school and kindergarten.

When you arrive in Sept. there will be three months left of this school year. You may want to look into some clubs and museums that have activities for pre-school aged children and focus on finding school for next Feb/March.

Good schools fill up early. Many parents start their children at 3yo at the school they want their child to attend through high school. Therefore at the good schools there is little vacancy for children who want to start at 4yo or 5 yo.

I think for starters your options depend on how long you will be here, where you will live, and budget.

With regard to where you live, will you have a car to get kids to school or do you have to stay local. If you have car do you have time and if so the patience to commute kids to school.

i`m sure someone will have more accurate info on this but i think only the last year of kindergarten is compulsory, children of 5 years of age attend there. there are 3 years of kindergarten in total. school is mandatory.

As far as timing for entering a new school, you want to do it as early as possible. As ArgentinaTravel.us mentioned, schools fill up early. Although the school year starts end of Feb/beginning of March, the "matricula" (enrollment fee, it usually equals to about a month's payment) is usually accepted around the beginning of December, sometimes as early as late November I think.

ElQueso said:
As far as timing for entering a new school, you want to do it as early as possible. As ArgentinaTravel.us mentioned, schools fill up early. Although the school year starts end of Feb/beginning of March, the "matricula" (enrollment fee, it usually equals to about a month's payment) is usually accepted around the beginning of December, sometimes as early as late November I think.

Thanks ElQueso! Do you have any idea what 'normal' school costs are?

ArgentinaTravel.us said:
I believe school is required at 5.

My experience is there is day care for kids to about 3. Then 3,4, and 5 there is jardin infante which is like nursery school and kindergarten.

When you arrive in Sept. there will be three months left of this school year. You may want to look into some clubs and museums that have activities for pre-school aged children and focus on finding school for next Feb/March.

Good schools fill up early. Many parents start their children at 3yo at the school they want their child to attend through high school. Therefore at the good schools there is little vacancy for children who want to start at 4yo or 5 yo.

I think for starters your options depend on how long you will be here, where you will live, and budget.

With regard to where you live, will you have a car to get kids to school or do you have to stay local. If you have car do you have time and if so the patience to commute kids to school.

We will probably have a car and can commute them to school. Regarding the budget, this is probably related to the quality of the school and/or public vas private. Right? Are there overviews of school and their ratings in Argentina?

enrollment for schools is usually in Novemeber, so start doing your research as soon as you get here.

Back