Condo or Co-op?

florence

Registered
The answer to this may be somewhere on this site but I don’t know how to find it. So apologies if it is redundant.

I “own” an apartment in Buenos Aires. What I am wondering is exactly what it is that I own. I am familiar with New York real estate where there are condos and co-ops. The owner of a condo owns the actual unit and pays fees to maintain the common structures. The owner of a co-op owns shares in a corporation (consorcio) that owns the entire building, and the shares include the right to use of the apartment. There may not be a just one answer here. It may depend on the building. And maybe in the long run it, when I go to sell, it won’t matter. But I would like to know. (Reading the many pages of documents, I have is an option, but my technical castellano is not so great.)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

It's a condo, fee's are for common areas,cleaning, security,elevator repairs ,pool maint,gardener,hallway lighting etc...

In my sad experience, it's very common that owners who rent their apartments out to guys like me, pad those "expensas" shamelessly before passing them along to us.

In my sad experience, it's very common that owners who rent their apartments out to guys like me, pad those "expensas" shamelessly before passing them along to us.
Expenses "extraordinarias" are not your problem if you rent?

Back