Conference Interpreter & Translator - English <> Spanish

Terere

Registered
I am a US-born (native English speaking) and EU-trained professional interpreter and translator who has recently re-located to Buenos Aires. My working combinations are: Spanish to English, English to Spanish, French to English and Italian to English.

I have an undergraduate degree in Economics, an MA in Development and another MA in Conference Interpreting.

As a translator, I'm specialized in business, finance and marketing texts. Furthermore, I have a decent amount of experience in the fields of academics (social sciences), humanitarian aid & development and HR.

As an interpreter, I have ample international experience (Europe, North Africa and Asia) in a wide range of settings: from conferences to small business meetings. As I mentioned before, I obtained my MA in Conference Interpreting in Europe, and I have been trained to interpret at the high-quality standards required by the EU institutions.

If you have any questions or would like for me to forward you my CV, please PM me.

Hi! I'm wondering if you can help me? I'm also from the states and graduated in Environmental Science. I'm bilingual and want to also market myself in this specific field. I plan to move to Patagonia next year and I want to start building a network of "hopefully Jobs" here with org related to this field. The problem is that I don't know how to use translation programs/softwares or which ones to use. I'm looking for someone to train me. Would you be able to help? I understand that there would be some cost involved. I also live in San Telmo. I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi! I'm wondering if you can help me? I'm also from the states and graduated in Environmental Science. I'm bilingual and want to also market myself in this specific field. I plan to move to Patagonia next year and I want to start building a network of "hopefully Jobs" here with org related to this field. The problem is that I don't know how to use translation programs/softwares or which ones to use. I'm looking for someone to train me. Would you be able to help? I understand that there would be some cost involved. I also live in San Telmo. I look forward to hearing from you.

You should first profile your ideal customer: do you prefer high volume agencies or small jobs with better paying clients? Are you willing / able to find clients by yourself?
If working with agencies, they usually have a preferred CAT, so there is no point in learning/buying many if you will be asked but a few.
The basic principle is the same for all CATs, then interfaces and functions may vary.

Professional CATs may be costly, but there are also free options available. You can find an overview of the most used ones here: http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

I'd be happy to teach you Wordfast Pro, SDL Trados Studio or MemoQ (or just the common basics) in exchange of English classes to improve pronunciation, but I am very far from San Telmo! :(

Also Petunia -- the Interpreter that posted, posted in 2014 and hasn't been active since... they may well not be here anymore... You may have more luck looking at the Colegio de Traductores and see if you can get in touch with anyone there.

Back