Confused! Documents for work visa - Foreign birth certificate, criminal history

BostonToBA

Registered
Hi everyone,

I was offered a job in BsAs and am in the process of getting all the necessary documents together. I'm getting a lot of mixed information and unreturned calls, so I could really use your advice.

Criminal record: Most people on this forum have mentioned the FBI background check. It seems pretty straightforward, and I'll do that if needed, but their turnaround time is really long. I called the Argentine consulate in NY, and they told me that an apostilled and translated state criminal history is sufficient (I've lived in Massachusetts since 1989). Has anyone tried that?

Birth certificate: Is anyone on the forum a US Citizen who was born in another country? I was born in Russia, and have an original birth certificate that was re-issued and internationalized, with a certified English translation. The consulate told me that I have to get their Moscow consulate to approve it! No luck with getting in touch with them so far. I'm just wondering if anyone has been in that situation, and if there is any alternative to dealing with the consulate in your birth country.

Thank you in advance! I know the birth certificate is a very specific situation, but I thought there might be someone here who dealt with a similar issue.

Can't wait for all of this to be out of the way so I can look forward to BA=)
Anne

BostonToBA said:
Criminal record: ... I called the Argentine consulate in NY, and they told me that an apostilled and translated state criminal history is sufficient (I've lived in Massachusetts since 1989). Has anyone tried that?

If you will apply for the visa at the Argentine consulate in NYC, you will need a State police certificate. If you will apply once you arrive in Argentina, you will need one issued by the FBI. Remember that in both cases, the document must be legalized with an Apostille.

BostonToBA said:
Birth certificate: ... I was born in Russia, and have an original birth certificate that was re-issued and internationalized, with a certified English translation. The consulate told me that I have to get their Moscow consulate to approve it!

The birth certificate will have to be legalized at the country where it was issued. If it was issued in Russia, the Argentine consulate in Moscow will have to legalize it.

I don't understand what you mean by re-issued and internationalized. Re-issued by whom? If you send me a scanned copy of the document I'll tell you where it must be legalized. You can reach me at [email protected]

Thanks so much for the clear explanation. My parents got a new copy of the birth certificate when we applied for a Visa to visit Russia, it's supposed to be internationally valid (as opposed to the original soviet union one), although I'm not sure where it's considered acceptable. I'll send you a photocopy, thank you again!

i am a u.s. citizen but born in germany. i needed two originals of my birth certificate which i got from the city of my birth. also, they HAD TO HAVE an apostille, and then had to be translated by an authorized translator in BA (or by an argentinian consulate-approved translator if you do it abroad.)

if you get your papers processed in nyc you need a NYS police record, not FBI.

SO, sincerely?? You have to have an apostille for the FBI check? I see that in the time that I sent the fingerprints and request in and actually got the document back, the rules have changed. Has anyone here gone and been rejected with an FBI report that was not apostilled?

Back