Construction work in bathroom

NyO

Registered
Hi all,
I am looking to have some construction work done in the bathroom as well as painting in the apartment. Does anyone have a good and reliable plomero, painter...at hand? Ideally someone who does not charge expat prices.
Thanks!
Nora

Good luck and to be safe buy an umbrella,buckets and some plastic sheeting

So True !
Damm you have no idea how much it bothers me !.
I see the OP s post , and Iknow hes gonna get shucked. I am sooo willing to do the work if it were close by !
Tell me , what kinda work is the plumbing issue , what exactly is happening with the plumbing ?

Just a word of advice, removing a cast iron - enamel (built in) bathing tub can be a major problem. If you live in an old building it could have been laid into the concrete subfloor while the concrete was still wet as well as there could be major issues with the pipes below the tub. Sometimes also the tubs were installed before the doorframe and door to the bathroom, so you have to have it cut into pieces with a blowtorch to remove it. If the tub is ugly you can have it painted with apoxy paint and it will look like new and last for a few years. If it's broken then you may have to replace it. Good luck.

If the tub is cast iron, the easiest way to remove it is with a few good hits with a sledge hammer. It will shatter, no need to use a torch. If it doesn't shatter, than it is enameled steel, and you can cut it up with a sawzall. If the tub is more than about 30 years old, it is almost certainly cast iron.

This is Argentina.......try silicone, the liquid that holds this place together! jajajaj......but whaterver if you do find someone who knows what they are doing, pay them in installments....when certain things are done pay a certain part, when the next step is done another part, when all is done another part, but pay the last part a week later after you know for sure there are no leaks or other problems. If they are paid up in full and you call to ask them to return because there is a problem, chances are they will not come.....also pay by the job and not the day or they may be there forever.

I agree with the slegdehammer approach to removing a cast iron bathtub if it wont fit thu the door.
I dont feel the folling advice is off topic , but your milage may vary.
File this under " Reducing the chances of being had"

Again , i have to preface that these arnt opinions based on bias. These are opinions based on learned lessons in dealing with horing or contracting anyone in argentina.

After the court ordered the eviction of the lowlifes that were suqating in my property , and the property was now in my hands, i saw that the task at hand was to make the place habitable. Because at the time i had a limited ammount of tools , i knew i would have to hire people.
A veritable parade of people came to my door asking for work . I gave the first few the benefit of the doubt and almost inmediatly i saw a pattern:
The hire shows up the first day . All is kinda normal.
The hire DOESNT show up the second day in the morning , he comes by around 11 am and starts spinning a yarn about a certain crisis he is having. The yarn varies but the result is the same . He needs you to "help" him with some money .
The most common story is that he ran out of garrafa and needs money for a refill because he needs to make the leche for his child.
So , like a fool , you give him a few bux.
Guess what ? You will never see that asshole again .
They arnt looking for work , its a scam. They weigh that if in a day they can get 50 pesos out of you , even if the ammount of the job is 500 pesos for 4 days work - all they want is the 50 pesos.
The other scam is that while they are working , some relative will come to the house and speaks to him , and he tells you he had an emergency and needs money and needs toleave and he will be back later that afternoon .
SO , that said.
I have adopted a new policy quite some time ago :
Wanna do work ? ok , I pay you when the job is finished . No money down under any circumstances. Even if the job is going well.
Do they need supplies ? Not a problem , go and buy the supplies for them .
Have them sign a receipt with their dni number for every penny u give them . State on that receipt if it is part of a payment. Make sure you write n the last receipt that no further monies are owed.
Lastly. If you can do the job yourself , do it.

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely work with partial payment and like the idea of paying the last tranche after actual use for a week or so. Will let you know if I come across someone trustworthy and reliable.

Back