Contact Info, Please

I've only been here four years now but as far as I can gather there had been a long standing problem with refugees/economic migrants, depending on your point of view, coming to Australia via Indonesia. They were paying 'people smuggles/traffickers' a lot of money to come across in rickety old boats and a lot of them were getting drowned at sea. Some of them survived and made it to the mainland. The current government started housing them on Nauru and Manus islands and has just proposed a law that would prevent any refugees trying to enter through informal channels such as boats from entering the country permanently. It claims that Australia accepts more refugees per capita than any other country. But as this link shows, that's not the whole story.

http://theconversati...r-country-47151

The policy of settling these people on Nauru and Manus islands is hugely controversial over here. Living conditions are poor, but since the policy of not allowing people coming into Australia on boats started, the boats have stopped coming and no-one has drowned at sea.

Google Nauru refugees Australia immigration policy and you'll find a mine of information and some very different points of view. Hope this helps!

http://www.thebubble.com/move-to-argentina-if-trump-wins/

jantango:
Very interesting article from The Bubble.
Right Camelot Canada is right next store but a quick look at some unemployment figures we see:
US 4.9% -----Canada 7%
In the 15 to 24 age group US 11.5%----Canada 13 %
Take a peek at their gov't website : What Do I Need To Work IN Canada?
Hmmm !? Can you get those docs easily?
Better you should seek some advice from that veritable queen of self-promotion Naomi Klein who knows the ropes.
I'm with the writer of the article .Why hassle with all that stuff? Just come down to BA and be a permatourist.
All kidding aside.I made that choice in 1979 and I can't really say I regret it.
So,come on down and be you !!

StevePalermo.
Thanks for your answer. Some people think it's a throw back to the White Australia Policy in force until as late as 1975.
Australia has solved its problem of not taking unwanted undocumented immigrants in this manner
The US not an island nation is not that lucky.
The Mexican "cayotes" cross the border with trailer trucks filled with any kind of people both good and criminal and we get stuck with them.

StevePalermo.
Thanks for your answer. Some people think it's a throw back to the White Australia Policy in force until as late as 1975.
Australia has solved its problem of not taking unwanted undocumented immigrants in this manner
The US not an island nation is not that lucky.
The Mexican "cayotes" cross the border with trailer trucks filled with any kind of people both good and criminal and we get stuck with them.

It is definitely not a throwback to the white Australia policy. From my daily experience a majority of new immigrants are non-white but that's just anecdotal not fact. I went to a friend's citizenship ceremony recently, and around 90% of the people there were non-white, mostly from Asia. The country is enriched by their industry and work ethic in my opinion.

jantango:
Very interesting article from The Bubble.
Right Camelot Canada is right next store but a quick look at some unemployment figures we see:
US 4.9% -----Canada 7%
In the 15 to 24 age group US 11.5%----Canada 13 %
Take a peek at their gov't website : What Do I Need To Work IN Canada?
Hmmm !? Can you get those docs easily?
Better you should seek some advice from that veritable queen of self-promotion Naomi Klein who knows the ropes.
I'm with the writer of the article .Why hassle with all that stuff? Just come down to BA and be a permatourist.
All kidding aside.I made that choice in 1979 and I can't really say I regret it.
So,come on down and be you !!

Unemployment soared in Alberta with the oil crash. They are celebrating Trump there because it will mean the return of Keystone XL, Alberta will boom again. As usually Alberta is the only place in Canada celebrating a Republican win...

StevePalermo...:
Of course,"the country is enrichedby their industry and work ethic". My question is ,Why did it take Australia until 1975 and the repeal of the White Australia Policy to figure that out?

It is definitely not a throwback to the white Australia policy. From my daily experience a majority of new immigrants are non-white but that's just anecdotal not fact. I went to a friend's citizenship ceremony recently, and around 90% of the people there were non-white, mostly from Asia. The country is enriched by their industry and work ethic in my opinion.
Especially by the way that they send about a Billion Dollars per day Out of the country and out of the economy. They are very industrious in that regard.

syngirl:
I'm not that knowledgeable about Canadian unemployment.I could be mistaken but I read that many of the unemployed in Alberta are originally from Atlantic Canada.So maybe that area will also celebrate a US Republican win if only just a little.

StevePalermo...:
Of course,"the country is enrichedby their industry and work ethic". My question is ,Why did it take Australia until 1975 and the repeal of the White Australia Policy to figure that out?

As I said, I've only been here for four years. To everyone I know that policy is ancient history, the Australia I know is so multicultural. (I live in Sydney, and its a multi cultural as London).

Back