Container/afip/customs

funuearhole

Registered
Hi Everyone. I'm looking for some advise.

I came here in 2008. I brought in a container full with personal things, furniture etc. into Argentina. I paid U$500 to get it through customs to a despacho. In 2011 I got my residency. Last year someone tried to bring in some boxes from the US and the company in the US said they had to have someones name and DNI number on the Boxes or else they could not send them. So they used mine. These boxes are still in customs a year later because apparently I have not paid customs for my container(or something like that).

My question is, will I have a problem leaving Argentina at any point?

Depends, forget about the idea about leaving the country with a container
The afip is going to sue you for that money you didn t pay plus the staying of the other boxes you never pick up. They charge per day.
My advice is: do not own real State.

No I was not going to leave with the container. Just leave Argentina for a while. I do own property here.

People are telling me things that do not make sense to me. They tell me I am supposed to pay every year for my things. If true It was never explained to me and I have never received a bill. They have my address.

Law is presumed known and the own (with all my respect) stupidity is not a defence you can use at court.
The tax collect sue rules sucks.
However, if you don t have real State they cannot enforce it unless they do the criminal case (rate) for tax evation.
(I m a local lawyer)

I see. But what tax and how much etc. No one said anything when I bought It in surly they have some obligation to tell me If they were going to charge me?
obviously it's not tax evasion so What else would they likely do? If this is correct then they haven't bothered in 5 years? Like i said, they have my address etc..
Can I still come and go without problems though?

I see. But what tax and how much etc. No one said anything when I bought It in surly they have some obligation to tell me If they were going to charge me?
obviously it's not tax evasion so What else would they likely do? If this is correct then they haven't bothered in 5 years? Like i said, they have my address etc..
I would not presume to be the expert that Bajo_cero but as far as my understanding goes, they will won't hassle you upon coming and going, rather if you ever want to sell your property, they will require you to pay up before authorizing it.

I would hire a lawyer to preemptively take care of this. Do you have receipt for the $500 dollars you paid for the container? If you do I assume that make easy work of the problem.

I am not sure how you brought your stuff in, but it seems to me like the company you used was not good or if you did it yourself, you should have investigated what needed to be done in more depth.

I too was wondering what the $500 represented.
When I brought my personal belongings over in 2005, I needed a garantor and I seem to remember paying all the fees at Dock Sur to the customs agent as well as a few under the table, but not any monies to afip.
If I were you, I'd look at the breakdown on the invoice to see what you actually paid for.

You can get sued for not picking up packages at Retiro customs office? Does this apply to small packages?

I don´t think you could get sued for abandoning something at customs. My best advice would be to contact an Intl Moving company, and ask them what common practice is, etc. They should be able to tell you right away if there is anything you should do, and what, etc.

Back