Container shipping question

EvergreenGal

Registered
Just about to ship a container to the states.....haven't done the digging to find out if this is the law, just hoping someone might know.

I was told the container would come to our home and load our boxes...then to the port and then shipped.

Well now the company is telling me...that a huge truck will come and load our belongings...go to the port...and be loaded into the container...while the person we gave power to represent us checks to be sure each box is there. If we want we can be there.

Was told it is against the law for an "empty" container to come to your home and load your belongings....anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks for any help!!

We had movers come out one day load boxes and label each box with a number for customs along with description. The next day we had an empty shipping container (40ft) at the house. Movers loaded boxes in container, sealed it, and took it to the docks.

criswkh said:
We had movers come out one day load boxes and label each box with a number for customs along with description. The next day we had an empty shipping container (40ft) at the house. Movers loaded boxes in container, sealed it, and took it to the docks.

How long ago did you have this done and can you give me the name and phone number of the company you used and any contact person.

Thank you so much!!

I don't know if it has to do with law, but it could be where you live. We were not allowed to have a container park outside our apartment in the city. Trucks that size are not allowed on the street. Could be related to if the truck can go down that street or not.

Don't think that is the issue....as we had a 20' container bring it to our home when we came here.

She said there was a law that empty containers can't load from outside the port....

I am concerned about the double loading....

mini said:
I don't know if it has to do with law, but it could be where you live. We were not allowed to have a container park outside our apartment in the city. Trucks that size are not allowed on the street. Could be related to if the truck can go down that street or not.

EvergreenGal said:
Don't think that is the issue....as we had a 20' container bring it to our home when we came here.

She said there was a law that empty containers can't load from outside the port....

I am concerned about the double loading....

Are you still using a 20ft?

Sorry. I don't know about he empty container thing. But what I can say is that we also had ours double unloaded (container to port, port via truck to apt) and I have to say they were very professional, polite, etc.

Every last box was accounted for even when we left some in storage for a few months. We were there when the container was opened and while they sorted the stuff from the container to either the storage or the truck. But we were not there when they brought the stuff from the storage back to us.

If you want info on the company we used I can dig out the info.

You should definitely call other companies to check that out though. I find that sometimes people make up answers related to "laws" & regulations when they don't want to do something! Makes it sound official.

We moved here with a 20ft container that was delivered to our home. The only issues we had were with our artwork, rocks, and my animal heads. I'm a scientist so I had my collection of things through the years. I was impressed with the wrapping of items. It was better than the States. They custom build a crate for our 1927 grand piano.
Beatriz Laera
Moving Consultant
Transpack Argentina

Personal e-mail: [email protected]
Corporate e-mail: [email protected]
Tel : +54 11 4363 9300
Fax : +54 11 4363 9301
Transpack Argentina S.A.
Azopardo 1345
(C1107ADW) Capital Federal
Buenos Aires - Argentina

Yes, it is a 20 footer...

Thank you for your words...it is very reassuring to say the least...this company has been on the up and up the entire time I have been working with them...a couple of months or more...so this was just an unwanted surprise when she informed me of something that was no what she had said a few months ago.

I did check around prior to "hiring" them...so okay with that.

My husband spoke with her on the phone, as she and I have been via emailing it...and he is Argentine...so the communication was fine.

Thanks for the advice, will do some calling on Monday....and look online this weekend.

mini said:
Are you still using a 20ft?

Sorry. I don't know about he empty container thing. But what I can say is that we also had ours double unloaded (container to port, port via truck to apt) and I have to say they were very professional, polite, etc.

Every last box was accounted for even when we left some in storage for a few months. We were there when the container was opened and while they sorted the stuff from the container to either the storage or the truck. But we were not there when they brought the stuff from the storage back to us.

If you want info on the company we used I can dig out the info.

You should definitely call other companies to check that out though. I find that sometimes people make up answers related to "laws" & regulations when they don't want to do something! Makes it sound official.

If you don't mind telling I was wondering what the cost was, As I may need to send a container myself soon.

Greg

Back