Contribuciones From Salary? Anyone Working In White To Help?

ecohen14

Registered
I'm working for a US company here in BA and they work in white. I have a temporary work visa/precaria issued, a CUIL and my DNI is in process. I am having problems with the company and the government regarding the Argentine "contribuciones" that are being deducted from my salary, which I was not warned would be an issue before I arrived to Argentina/accepted the job. 17% of my salary is being deducted each month for contribuciones (aka retirement and similar funds) even though my work status is a temporary 1 year visa with possibility to renew at the end of the year. I have no plans to retire here or ever accept any of these funds, and my visa status reflects this (will expire in one year and I will be illegal).

My company has filed an exemption with the government (providing them with apostilled US social security papers) however it seems that they a. haven't heard back yet or b. were not given the exemption. Does anyone have any experience getting an exemption/know any way I could help the process?

Thanks!

Taxes are based on residence, it means, where you live over 6 month a year. Perhaps they were not telling you the true about it.

I am not looking for an exemption on taxes, only on contribuciones. They are different. Contribuciones are not given to the government like taxes are, they are collected and returned to me at retirement. I am eligible to pay taxes, of course, but I am not eligible to receive jubilacion funds because I am not a citizen/permanent resident. That is the basis of exemption.

I am not looking for an exemption on taxes, only on contribuciones. They are different. Contribuciones are not given to the government like taxes are, they are collected and returned to me at retirement. I am eligible to pay taxes, of course, but I am not eligible to receive jubilacion funds because I am not a citizen/permanent resident. That is the basis of exemption.

Unfortunately, you are still liable even if you are planning to leave soon. It the nature of working in any country. It's the same in the US. Foreign (even temporary) workers are generally required to pay Social Security and Medicare.

Doesn't an employee in the U.S. have Social Security money deducted from ever paycheck? One must work for at least 10 years in the U.S. or for a U.S company.in order to collect Social Security retirement benefits. If you leave job market in fewer than 10 years you get no benefits.
What's the difference?

That's not actually true

Doesn't an employee in the U.S. have Social Security money deducted from ever paycheck? One must work for at least 10 years in the U.S. or for a U.S company.in order to collect Social Security retirement benefits. If you leave job market in fewer than 10 years you get no benefits.
What's the difference?

The way it works in Europe, it is that you can ask to transfer your contributions abroad to your country (or where you will be when retiring).
The principle is "everybody gotta have their contribution deducted" and not "I will plan for retirement myself" like in the US.
There are of course limits in terms of minimal contribution to be able to request a transfer, as well as minimal contributions to get a pension, but it depends on the two specific countries, so it is impossible to provide an answer that suits anybody - especially in cases where a country with a different retribution system exists.

You didn't read me properly, taxes are base on where is your home. The same apply for contributions. Permanent or precaria category of a visa has nothing to do with it.

If you don't use it, you contribute somebody else. It is a solidary system, not individual.

I'm working for a US company here in BA and they work in white. I have a temporary work visa/precaria issued, a CUIL and my DNI is in process. I am having problems with the company and the government regarding the Argentine "contribuciones" that are being deducted from my salary, which I was not warned would be an issue before I arrived to Argentina/accepted the job. 17% of my salary is being deducted each month for contribuciones (aka retirement and similar funds) even though my work status is a temporary 1 year visa with possibility to renew at the end of the year. I have no plans to retire here or ever accept any of these funds, and my visa status reflects this (will expire in one year and I will be illegal).

My company has filed an exemption with the government (providing them with apostilled US social security papers) however it seems that they a. haven't heard back yet or b. were not given the exemption. Does anyone have any experience getting an exemption/know any way I could help the process?

Thanks!

I'm in exactly the same situation. It sucks but that's the way it is. I was told tons of lies before coming here. Honestly, I wasn't happy until I just accepted it for what it was, because changing things here is like pulling teeth.

That's mandatory and there are no exemptions. So yes and yes, you (and your company) have to pay those contributions no matter what your long-term plans are.

Back