Corned Beef?

syngirl

Registered
Any idea if you can get it here? If so, where? If not, how does one say "brisket" in spanish ;) ?

3.5 years and never once thought about it, suddenly I have a yen to make poached eggs and corned beef hash tomorrow for brunch!

Brisket is called " pecho" and since the cuts are different ( not just have different names ) I guess it is unavailable, unless you talk to a butcher and gets it for you.

desertrose said:
Hi Syngirl,
There is corned beef here, the brand is Swift. Also, you can find Viandada (pan de carne) in pretty much every supermarket.
Check the link http://www.swift.com.ar/sitio/home.htm (Productos/Carne enlatada) there you can see a picture of their products.

Calling the Swift product corned beef is like calling Velveeta cheese.

Viandada is basically the same product that is known as "Spam" in the US. In the major supermarkets here it is "priced controlled" at $2.50 per can.

Have you ever heard of the show 'good eats' there is an episode where he explains hhow to make that, looked pretty simple. There is a large jewish comminity here, wondering of they have some. Sammy's, a puertas cerradas is going to start brunches in may...Email me if you are interested...fred

steveinbsas said:
Viandada is basically the same product that is known as "Spam" in the US. In the major supermarkets here it is "priced controlled" at $2.50 per can.

In the supermarkets of my barrio the price has jumped to 4.50 & the price for the pan de carne is now 13.75!! Any ideas what's going on?

Celia said:
In the supermarkets of my barrio the price has jumped to 4.50 & the price for the pan de carne is now 13.75!! Any ideas what's going on?

Viandala is still $2.50 at Carrefour in Recoleta.

Today viandada was $4 & corned beef $9. Prices in Consti are jumping around.
Picada this week is $17 per kilo!!!! More than steak. Last week it was under $10.

Yeah I looked up a recipe in the end -- if I want my corned beef I'm going to have to be willing to wait -- takes minimum 3 weeks of sitting in brine to cure... Spam and Corned Beef to me are very different products... no one's lining up for hours at Beauty's (Montreal) for spam... anyway I shouldn't write too much about corned beef, brunch, or montreal, because now here I am sitting here craving a proper smoked meat sandwich.... Schwartz's ..sigh... next it will be poutine!

Back