Corrective eye surgery?

Why take risk??.... sure. In fact I notice that everyday somebody die in a car accident!...so I'll never use my car anymore (a lot of sence right?).

I was going to get the surgery last year, but sadly didn't qualify under my health plan. Would have done it otherwise though.

Main factors affecting the quality of the service are the quality of the instruments (any decent clinic uses the latest technology) and the experience of the opthamologists (highly trained professionals who are just as capable as their US or European counterparts). Many of the European doctors I've met here have nothing but admiration for the Argentina medical service. Whilst the public system may not have the equipment you'll find elsewhere, a doctor with 10 years of experience working in the Argentine system will have seen considerably more patients than his European counterpart, and will be a more capable professional having benefited from more experience.

There's a risk with any surgery, but there's also a risk to stumbling around half blind, there's a risk of developing a corneal infection from using contact lenses, not to mention and a risk of your glasses being broken and shards of glass ending up in your eyes.

I would have done LASIK here in a heartbeat had it been free, and am still considering paying for it out of pocket.

Nicole_Ramirez said:
I don't have all his info. His last name is Plagos, first name may be Goyo, but my husband wasn't sure if that was just his nick name the family goes by..

Goyo is the usual nick for gregorio.

I've very high myopia (10,5 power in both eyes)

I've had a surgery with Dr. Nicolas Charles at http://www.clinicacharles.com.ar/

Here is a brief of his CV http://www.clinicacharles.com.ar/staff/n_charles.htm

My surgery was a implatation of an intraocular lens, called "Acrysof Phakic/ Cachet"

It was similar to cataract one, but without takin out the crystalline lens

In general, he was very seriously warning about the risks ans saying that he would only operate me o whoever if you don't tolerate the contact lenses.

At the moment, i had only had one eyed surgered an in the other am using a "acuvue one day moist" disposable lenses.

attached, the photonof my eye, 3 days after:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ojo.jpg
    ojo.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for good tips everyone!.... For now I think i'll take a trip to one of your recommended opticians for a new set of contacts... Maybe this time they'll work better. If not... I'll come back here for some more info from you guys that have had the surgery here.

Have been reading and reading and reading about surgery.... but as someone said "It's your eyes"... But everyone that has done seem to be so thrilled... but I'm still thinking "it's my eyes". What if....

The thing that makes me doubt the most is that it seems so hard to say how your eyes will work after a longer time... say 10 or 20 or 30 years. I know that many has to do some additional surgery after a few years as your eyes change with age, but also that many of the methods use actually create a scar that never heals. In your eye!!

Nicole, how's your night vision? contrast? dry eyes seems to be the problem that most people complain about. Not life threatening but still quite irritating if it's for life.

hm... I'll keep on thinking. Now optician for contacts.

amat said:
i am having a final consultation next week and if all's well, i'll have lasik the following week. If I go through with it.. :)
everyone I know that has had it is absolutely thrilled they did it. And they say that the risk of getting serious eye infections with wearing contacts over many years is higher than any problems with the surgery. But, it is still surgery! so the thought still makes me nervous..
I'm going to Doctor Pablo Andersson - he works in the German hospital and also has his own practice. An optician friend here says he is a leading surgeon in this field in Argentina.
I will update if i get it done.

Ah... very interesting. Please keep us updated!

Nicole_Ramirez said:
I have had the surgery here. It was 8 years ago on a vacation here to visit my husbands family. Everyone thought I was crazy " why would I get my eyes done in the 3rd world country". Well let me tell you it was the best thing I have ever done. The doctor who did it is a friend of my husbands family. He has done everyones eyes in his family who needed it as well. I did it 8 years ago & still don't have a single problem with my vision (knock on wood). I don't have all his info. His last name is Plagos, first name may be Goyo, but my husband wasn't sure if that was just his nick name the family goes by. HIs office is on Maipu in Olivos I believe. Again I don't have all the info, if you need it I will get it for you.

Wow, finally someone whos done it a long time ago. I posted some questions in my other reply.... No problems you say? Night vision? Drieness? contrasts? halos?

jp said:
I was going to get the surgery last year, but sadly didn't qualify under my health plan. Would have done it otherwise though.

Main factors affecting the quality of the service are the quality of the instruments (any decent clinic uses the latest technology) and the experience of the opthamologists (highly trained professionals who are just as capable as their US or European counterparts). Many of the European doctors I've met here have nothing but admiration for the Argentina medical service. Whilst the public system may not have the equipment you'll find elsewhere, a doctor with 10 years of experience working in the Argentine system will have seen considerably more patients than his European counterpart, and will be a more capable professional having benefited from more experience.

There's a risk with any surgery, but there's also a risk to stumbling around half blind, there's a risk of developing a corneal infection from using contact lenses, not to mention and a risk of your glasses being broken and shards of glass ending up in your eyes.

I would have done LASIK here in a heartbeat had it been free, and am still considering paying for it out of pocket.

What health plan are you under? Was thinking of checking if my obra social offered something... I didn't think anyone did.

Did you also already check any prices?

OSDE cover corrective surgery if you have had any of their plans for at least a year (I had their 210 plan), but to qualify you need at least +-3 and I fell short at 2.75.

I also went to clinica charles on the recommendation of a friend who had LASIK there. The price I was quoted was 6000 for both eyes, but that was a year and a half ago so I would expect it to be more now.

jp said:
OSDE cover corrective surgery if you have had any of their plans for at least a year (I had their 210 plan), but to qualify you need at least +-3 and I fell short at 2.75.

I also went to clinica charles on the recommendation of a friend who had LASIK there. The price I was quoted was 6000 for both eyes, but that was a year and a half ago so I would expect it to be more now.

Ok.... yeah I'm not enough for osde either in that case.

hm 6 000.... for both eyes... that's not bad. In my country it would be almost 20 000.

Back