Cost of English / Spanish translation service?

Hi NickF,
I'm an English-Spanish translator, from Argentina. I was reading the previous answers and, in my opinion, it's important to have the web page translated by a professional, so as to make sure that the grammar is correct and the type of discourse appropriate. The text should be written in global Spanish if your potential customers are from different Spanish-speaking countries, as somebody said. It's true that the Translator's Bar suggests a given fee but that's mainly for legal translations, which is not you case. Besides, the length of the text and the repetitions could be considered in the final price.
If you are interested, you can contact me.
Linkedin: Luisina Lepera

Yes, perhaps I should have been more clear. :)

A friend or someone you know who is native in preferably both languages (or at least the target language) and has good communication and grammatical skills.

I've seen "professional" work that is neither good nor professional and personally would prefer to use someone I know has a working knowledge of the language than someone who simply has a certificate that says they do. Of course, translating to Spanish should be a lot easier for any native translator than translating from Spanish to English which is where most of the problems arise.

In fact, I am not overly impressed with the English version of the Colegio de Traductores website... but that's just me. ;)

Where you will find information about our professional association, the first one of its kind around the world to break new ground regarding control of professional registration,
safeguard of professional ethics, and continuing education and attributes for its members.
Do not hesitate to contact us via e-mail to: [email protected]

If my grade school English teacher were to get a hold of that, there'd be red ink and question marks all over the place. :p

That said there are some very good pro translators out there! Hope you find what you're looking for. :D

The certified translators charge a fixed rate for translating official documents. It's much higher than you'll be quoted for most other translations. Also, there are plenty of translators that aren't "public translators" but are still very professional. I would expect to pay between 12 and 20 cents per word for a good website translation.

i'm sure an online swrvice would be better...
Sorry i can't recommend one, i'd have to refer to an online webmaster forum

I just assume everything here is too expensive and look elsewhere by default

Eclair said:
I've seen "professional" work that is neither good nor professional and personally would prefer to use someone I know has a working knowledge of the language than someone who simply has a certificate that says they do. Of course, translating to Spanish should be a lot easier for any native translator than translating from Spanish to English which is where most of the problems arise.

In fact, I am not overly impressed with the English version of the Colegio de Traductores website... but that's just me.

A few years ago an escribano decided my castellano wasn't good enough for me to handle an escritura. When I arrived, he introduced a lovely young woman as my translator, and she presented me with an official English translation of the escritura. Unfortunately, it made no sense at all in English. It was full of spelling and grammatical errors, and it mistranslated basic elements of the title deed. Google Translate would probably have done a better job. Rather than delay the proceeding, I ignored the translation and followed the reading in Spanish.

Trying to figure out how and where she became an expert translator, I later asked where she had studied. "Facultad de Derecho," she replied. Have you ever visited an English-speaking country? "No." And were your professors native speakers? "No - they're all Argentine experts in English."

Enough said. . . .

im willing to translate it for you. let me see it and Ill give you an estimate.
I was charged 80 pesos per pge by a "certified" translator. As a result my car was almost impounded at aduana due to all the errors. I wasnt allowed to translate it myself.
I have seen "professionally translated websites and feel most of them are a joke

PS . I was born here , spent most of my life in thestates and went to HS here many moons ago

I lucked out on this one. I do have a good friend who was a former translator and is now in my line of work (that knows the lingo) that is from BA and lived in the states for many years that was willing to do this for me gratis. So feel like I'm in good hands. Was surprised she was willing to do this. Thanks again for the advice cost and the offers to help.

Nick,

I work routinely translating between spanish and english for a petroleum manager. The first is my native language but I grew up speaking english and I recently spent a year at a university in Canada.

If you are interested in my services please contact me at [email protected]

All the best,

Tomás.

Back