Cost of living - city comparison tool

arockwell11

Registered
I found this site while doing a cost of living comparison between Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires and Mendoza. You'll have to be the judge if the costs are correct or not.

For me, Buenos Aires or Mendoza (where we plan to go) would be a great improvement, especially since Rio also has a lot of inflation. Same bad service issues, etc. Same/Same. Don't believe the Hillary Clinton comments about Brazil's 35% income tax rate being a good model for South America. The tax money never makes it down to street.

You can over type the comparison cites
http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/buenos-aires/dallas

for example:
Rio de Janeiro is 75% more expensive than Buenos Aires
Rio de Janeiro is 84% more expensive than Buenos Aires

Bangkok is 19% more expensive than Buenos Aires

Dallas is 56% more expensive than Buenos Aires

Any feedback on the Buenos Aires or Mendoza price?

Their numbers are very suspect. I would find a different comparison calculator.

Not sure how reliable this site is.... This is what I got:

"We are not sure what city is "geneva"." LOL.

But he has made a good start. It just needs more work. :)

Definitly some or most of the prices are off-unless they've changed again since i went outside yesterday.

even for other cities in Europe i would be familiar with they didn't seem right.

Hi,

I'm the creator of expatistan.com. Thank you to everyone to take the time to test the site and for giving your opinion.

Definitely some prices are off. The prices are entered by users of the website, and the page itself is pretty young. Therefore, a lot of cities don't have enough prices entered by enough people to make them really accurate.

That's the minus part. The plus part is that you can enter/correct the prices that you think are wrong ourself, and improve the comparisons for everyone.

If in any city the data collected is not enough, or is old, or seems to be very different between users, I show a warning at the top of the comparison, and you can follow that link to enter prices yourself in the city that has uncertain data.

As a quick reference, the link to enter prices in Buenos Aires is:

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/rate/buenos-aires

I hope that soon there will be enough accurate data in Buenos Aires to give arockwell11 a good idea of the prices there.

Well, I never expected to have the owner of this site comment. Nice start!

You read my comments at the start of the thread. I'm comparing Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires and Mendoza.

Rio is probably even more expensive than your numbers indicate due the strength of the Real (and only God knows why) compared to the dollar (and everyone knows why it's weaker) since 2002.

Just a couple of years ago I was using 20 Real notes (US $11.00) for everyday life. I'm now using 50 Real notes (US $27.50) all the time. 100 Reals in the grocery store buys very little.

If you'd like I can look at current prices for the things you track.

I was in Mexico City and Southern Florida in end end of April to the beginning of this month. I did price comparisons between there and here. Actually, the list was longer, but because the packaging differs between countries I can only present a few, because I´d be up all night trying to do the math. All prices are in US money.

Mexico EEUU CF

Cocoa Cola 1.5 litre $1.04 $1.25* $1.52
1 litre low fat milk .94 1.59 1.28
400 gm can tomatoes .87 1.57 1.28
bananas .88 1.18 1.33
carrots .48 1.80 1.58
* this product may be taxable??)

Back