Cost of Living Really Lower than US?

BlueDaydream

Registered
Hey there, I’ve been digging deep in this forum all day and I really appreciate all the great info on here. I’m wondering if you guys think $4k (USD) is a reasonable monthly budget for a family of 3 in BA, not including private school tuition. My general list of desires includes:

-A rental home, flat or townhome in an area that’s family friendly with lots of kids. I hear I should look into Village del parque, Devoto, Recoleta, Chacarita, Village crespo, Paternal, Parque Rivadavia. Any other recs? Right now we’re in a new 2800 square foot house in Austin, TX paying almost $1/square foot. I’d like to cut that price in half, and would be willing to give up ~1000 square feet. So what will $1500 USD get me in BA? Could I have another house or beautiful flat? Only caveat is it can’t be too noisy and can’t be unsafe even a little bit (in terms of violent crime), and needs to be friendly to Americans. We can’t be ostracized for being from Texas, we’re leaving bc we think it’s backwards too! We are about 20 minute drive from central Austin and I find it somewhat provincial and too far, so closer than 20 minutes to the city would be great unless there’s a ton to do in the “suburb”. I’d love public transpo, but would get a car if needed. Some sort of children’s recreation needs to be nearby like the Children’s museum, I read about some place that is like a club for kids. I hear the country clubs are not too expensive, even the beach or a park is great for us as long as there are other kids. We need a great preschool nearby and ideally, a private school she can go to like Lincoln. Or the French school. I’m looking for the most academically prestigious school in the city- not meaning tons of homework or long school day, meaning teaching critical thinking and skills to my very bright kid. Cost is not a factor. In terms of wher we live, i want to really dig into the city. I want to see all there is to see, and become fluent (I lived in Spain for a short while so it should come back). At the same time I think it’d be nice to have American and European friends. Is there an “expat neighborhood”?

-our other main hope is we’ll save about half on food. Right now we’re spending $1200+ (USD) on food mainly just going to Costco and HEB. So we’re not extravagant or anything! I’m happy to cook everything from fresh: fish, vegetables, fruit, avocados, seeds, and some meat are all we really need. Would $600 a month cut it? Would that be enough to go out to restaurants?

-can someone please explain to me why I see a lot of stuff on here about how expensive BA is? I’ve lived in Paris, is that the kind of expensive people are talking about? On other expat websites it says we’ll be paying half of what we pay here in Austin. But then I see people say food is as expensive as California. Is that seriously true?! I have actually lived in California, and wonder if those people who said BA is as expensive have also. please enlighten me as I see a lot of conflicting info about the cost of living!

-we don’t have to have money to travel but we love it! is it expensive to travel well in that part of the world?

Thanks you guys!

Back