Cost Of Living Update

harrisonba

Registered
Hi all, I apologize if this has already been discussed at length. I've been offline for a while.

I lived in BA for two years up until exactly one year ago. I left to return to Canada and to live in Europe for a while. Now I have the urge to return again for a year or more.

My questions:

In the last 12 months, have you noticed that prices for the following items have decreased, remained about the same, or increased (in equivalent US$)?
  • Furnished apartment rentals, monthly (Palermo, Belgrano or Recoleta)
  • Dining costs (for example, average menu ejecutivo; CCL y medialunas)
  • Taxi fares
  • Groceries (for example, average bottle of table wine; 500g yerba mate)
Thanks very much!

Harrison

It's been discussed ad naseum, a search will help.

Short answer, if you have access to dollars, your COL from a year ago will be about the same (or potentially lower) as prices have increased at least 30% but the dollar blue has surged and is now above 8. I haven't seen much about rents decreasing but I don't rent so your best bet is to check the classified in La Nacion, Clarin, etc.

If you live in pesos, it's just a lot more expensive than it was a year ago. Suerte.

Harrison, to get an idea of current food prices, you can check out Disco's online supermarket and the website Buenos Aires Delivery.

Thanks Starlucia -- I didn't know they had an online store. That's really helpful.

so disco delivers at home? you just pick it online and pay 'effectivo'?

Yeah but it aint all the sunshine and roses you think. Its good for staples but if you're cooking you're much better off to stop by and see whats actually in stock.

I've tried buying online from Disco and it's a joke for the most part. They offer everything under the sun but when your stuff comes a good percentage of it just didn't make it. I never found it worthwhile. Much easier to go to the store, get the stuff and have it delivered.

Back