Cost of living

USMCAcosta

Registered
I apologize if this has been covered but I would like to receive personalized advice for my particular figures. I am a 24 year old veteran (2 tours in Afghanistan). I received my honorary discharge from the Marine Corps and am using my GI Bill to get a degree in ECommerce online through a state school here in New York. I have managed to amass quite a bit of savings during my 6 years in the service and would like to unwind in a place like Buenos Aires where the exchange rate is favorable and I can at least have some what of a decent standard of living.

I have a budget of about $US 240 a week after rent ($1200 monthly budget). I wonder about how good of a life I can lead down there. I am single and after the war and everything I just want to zone out and tune out from my normal life. I have no intentions of working and can basically keep up this budget for a couple of years while I finish my degree. I'd just like to know if I could realistically have a good time down there on my budget. I am very good at managing my finances and have zero debt if any of that matters.

Also, my parents are from the Dominican Republic so I am fluent in the "tu" version of Spanish. :D

If it all works out I'll be making the move on October 24th of this year.

I would like to thank all of you in advance for any advice or tips.

God Bless

from one ex-military to another, Welcome to BA

If you're left with $240 AFTER rent then I'd say you'll be ok. $1000 pesos a week for disposable income is a lot more than the average local would have to play with. You won't live extravagantly, but you won't be missing out on much

Also, you're arriving the day after the Federal Election, so I don't know how the city will be (possibly dead calm and in a state of shock?!)

Hi. There are several threads that can help you out with extensive info and recent conversations about COL in Buenos Aires.

Here's a good one that should provide you with lots of information: http://baexpats.org/expat-life/15675-job-offer-buenos-aires.html?highlight=job+offer

In my experience (I've been living here for 5+ years, but am planning to leave) you will not have a very good quality of life here on $1200/mo. You can expect to spend minimum of $300 for an "ok" room in a shared house (and that's not going to get you anything very nice) up to $500 for a decent room in a shared apartment (living with 3-4 other people). A solo, furnished studio apartment in a decent barrio here will run you minimum of $600-700 and that's if you hunt around and plan in advance (or much much more, depending on what you're looking for and what your standards are). But it sounds like you're looking to spend a fair amount more than that on rent. If you're not overly preoccupied with with traveling then you can do ok (but you'll by no means be living the highlife).

Since your arrival date is just over a month away, all the good apartments (i.e. good deals) will be picked over, you typically need to be looking 3 months ahead to really get any deals on a place to live, especially if you don't know any locals.

ETA:: I think the Federal Election (or at least the presidential election--are they one and the same?) is on the 10th.

Buenos Aires is NOT an inexpensive place to live, so I guess a lot of the answer depends on your definition of "living well". Most people here will tell you that there are lots of other places that you could go and have a better time where your money will go further. I hear Berlin is a great deal these days (plus it's connected to all of Europe). Then of course there are places like Thailand.

In a nutshell, there's no way I'd come to Buenos Aires and plan to live indefinitely on only $1200 as there are other places where I think you could have a better time for your money. Again, it depends on what kind of experience you're looking for! Best of luck to you in your decision making process.

@mellowshipslinky Thanks for the prompt response brother. I really appreciate your input. Do you think there will be any social upheaval after the shock of the election result subsides? It might be cool to witness La Revolucion! BTW, what branch did you serve with? Where you active duty with the States? Or another nation?

@MizzMar I guess I should have been clearer in my wording but the $1200 is my rent budget. I would be working with about $240 a week after rent. I actually lived in Germany for about 10 months while in the Marines and it is not a cheap place to live especially while earning the American dollar. It has always been a dream of mine to spend some time in Thailand and Vietnam but for now my heart is pretty much set on Argentina. I already speak the language after all :) Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post. Cheers!

I've only been here 5 months so I've no idea on the election aftermath - there are others on this forum who could offer a more qualified answer!

I was Australian Army, but we trained with the leathernecks a bit - ever get to Shoalwater Bay??

Good luck with the move down, hope it works out

@mellowshipslinky

I got patched up by an Australian medic out in Afghanistan. I've never been to Shoalwater but I really want to visit Australia in the near future. And thanks once more man. Based on your information I should be able to stay out in BsAs a good while.

-Regards

If you can live like a Monk, $250.00 will getter done. Otherwise, one night of Honky-Tonkin will about wipe you out.

Semper Fi

USD 250 is like 1050 pesos a week, and you said AFTER rent? You can live very well with that. I would. In fact, it is a lot of money, cinema cost 17-35 pesos, an entire meal in a restaurant at midday 35-80 pesos, with 30 pesos you will buy an acceptable wine bottle (or is it 20?), a normal taxi trip can cost you 20 pesos, etc. Per week? Welcome to BA, my friend.

One of my sisters did two tours in Afghanistan and my other sister did one tour in Iraq. I just wanted to say thank you!
Now, with respect to your budget, maybe it would help if I gave you info about ours and how much we spend etc.
We live in Caballito - it's not that close to Palermo but a 20 min subte ride will get you to Centro. We pay $2850 pesos rent plus $1200 pesos for expenses - granted we have a two bedroom apartment with a cochera. If we go out to dinner, we can look to be spending anywhere from $150 to $375 pesos for the two of us - including shared appetizer, bottle of wine, dinner and shared dessert. If you don't go out for sushi, you can expect to spend about that much (speaking of sushi - tuna here is usually from the can but the salmon is generally okay). Going to the supermarket and shopping for food for about a week and a half runs us about $500 - $700 pesos but we are two, I buy a lot of cleaning supplies for laundry (dry cleaning is expensive here) and I also buy dog food. So maybe you would be looking to spend closer to $300 pesos a week on groceries. If I were to take a taxi from Congresso to Caballito I am looking to spend about $30 pesos - depending on traffic of course. A subte ride is cheap - 1.10 pesos and buses cost around 1.25 (depending on the line and where you need to go). Also, we pay for private insurance - about $500 pesos a month (each).
Best of luck! Also - you are going to be hearing "vos" down here ;o)

USMCAcosta said:
@MizzMar I guess I should have been clearer in my wording but the $1200 is my rent budget. I would be working with about $240 a week after rent. I actually lived in Germany for about 10 months while in the Marines and it is not a cheap place to live especially while earning the American dollar. It has always been a dream of mine to spend some time in Thailand and Vietnam but for now my heart is pretty much set on Argentina. I already speak the language after all :) Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post. Cheers!

Ohh, you can do fine for much less than $1200 in rent (probably find a nice furnished one bedroom for around $800-900/mo) and if you have an additional $900/mo for spending money you'll do fine here. Again you won't be able to travel much, but you'll live a decent quality of life for sure:) Entonces... bienvenidos a la argentina! I hope you enjoy your time.

Back