Cottage Cheese (En Castellano P.V..)

soma

Registered
Hi could anyone please tell me what 'cottage cheese' is called in Argentina..?

I've found some spanish translations online etc but I'd like to know what the definitive local term is - Cheers :)

Hey, I'm a local here in BA. I think the word you're looking for is "Queso Ricota" or maybe "Queso Crema", not sure though.

Saludos.

I LOOOOVE cottage cheese and miss it too, Soma! But I don't think those translations are correct. I have had them both and neither are what you are looking for (one is Ricota cheese and the other is whipped cheese). I don't think it exists here, honestly. I used to have it everyday and tried to find it too! :) Let me know if you find it! Thanks for trying though, Porteno!

Oh how I have missed my favorite cottage cheese...Nancy's Organic Cottage Cheese....made by a small dairy in Oregon.

I asked my husband, he's Argentine, there are no words for cottage cheese, that he is aware of, since it doesn't exist here...

There's a money making idea...drop out half of the different types of milk & yogurt they sell and make cottage cheese :)

kikedeolivos said:
It's called queso cottage or just cottage. I used to buy it years ago (Sancor, La Serenisima) but I haven't looked for it recently.

Or, you can do your own.

http://www.lanek0cina.com/?p=443

Liliana remembers Queso Cottage from Nestlé back in the eighties but hasn't seen it for years.

Essentially, all these cheeses are simple curd cheeses and the difference between ricotta and cottage cheese is the rennet/cuajo while queso blanco is a pressed curd cheese.

When I have too much milk around I make a simple requesón cheese by pouring the milk into a pan, adding a little lemon juice to help it separate and then straining it through a muslin bag (well, actually, I use a clean tea-towel but I would use a muslin bag if I had one.) That's it: requesón. I use it instead of ricotta when making ñoquis or raviolones and you can use it anywhere you would use a curd cheese though it doesn't have the mellow creamyness of cottage cheese, I'm afraid.

There is no cottage cheese in Buenos Aires. It dosn´t matter what it may be called, it doesn´t exist. When I arrived here about 6 years ago, a dairy company beginning with "M" sold what they thought was cottage cheese. It was vile.
No, there is no sour cream (crema agria) either. I´ver looked in Mexico and Spain to no avail. Yogurt can be a substitute for sour cream. There is NO substitute for cottage cheese. And yet another reason NOT to get a DNI. If I had a DNI, I probably wouldn´t leave for the lands of cottage cheese 4 times a year; the U.S. or Europe.

fred mertz said:
There is no cottage cheese in Buenos Aires. It dosn´t matter what it may be called, it doesn´t exist. When I arrived here about 6 years ago, a dairy company beginning with "M" sold what they thought was cottage cheese. It was vile.
No, there is no sour cream (crema agria) either. I´ver looked in Mexico and Spain to no avail. Yogurt can be a substitute for sour cream. There is NO substitute for cottage cheese. And yet another reason NOT to get a DNI. If I had a DNI, I probably wouldn´t leave for the lands of cottage cheese 4 times a year; the U.S. or Europe.

And??? Does it affect your sleep?

Do you happen to know where to get rennet?

elhombresinnombre said:
Liliana remembers Queso Cottage from Nestlé back in the eighties but hasn't seen it for years.

Essentially, all these cheeses are simple curd cheeses and the difference between ricotta and cottage cheese is the rennet/cuajo while queso blanco is a pressed curd cheese.

When I have too much milk around I make a simple requesón cheese by pouring the milk into a pan, adding a little lemon juice to help it separate and then straining it through a muslin bag (well, actually, I use a clean tea-towel but I would use a muslin bag if I had one.) That's it: requesón. I use it instead of ricotta when making ñoquis or raviolones and you can use it anywhere you would use a curd cheese though it doesn't have the mellow creamyness of cottage cheese, I'm afraid.

okworks said:
Do you happen to know where to get rennet?

Usually you can buy it in the pharmacies, that's where I buy it in Europe. But I've been told that it's too "old fashioned" and pharmacies don't sell it anymore. Maybe you need to find an "old fashioned" pharmacy & ask them to order it for you. I've also been told that dona clara has it. I haven't been down there yet as I still have some left over, so haven't needed to replenish yet.

I would like to hit dona clara ones of these days to if I get here soon, I'll ask.

If you just want to make ricotta, you can use lemon juice instead.

Back