Cottage Cheese (En Castellano P.V..)

"Queso Cottage" - Used to be able to get it in most chain supermarkets. There were a couple of brands and it came in tubs similar to mendicrim type cheeses - I think serenissima did one. Last time I saw it was in 2005. I have hunted around for it quite a bit since then, but to no avail. Just another one of those things that has disappeared over the past couple of years I'm afraid.

hey there! I bought rennet the other day from Dona Clara - takes for ever waiting in line there though...

I was going to make buttermilk with it - but ended souring the milk with lemon juice - so point is i never used the rennet - if you'd like to pick it up from me - you can have it for free. I'm in Recoleta

The word for Cottage Cheese is "requesón". I haven't seen it here. Argentina's version of sour cream is "Casancrem" it's identical to sour cream.

Davidglen77 said:
The word for Cottage Cheese is "requesón". I haven't seen it here. Argentina's version of sour cream is "Casancrem" it's identical to sour cream.

Sadly it's not identical to sour cream. :( It's too sweet and too thick. I find it closer to cream cheese. For some uses such as in sweet things it's a fine substitute for savory food.... not so much. :( I wonder if you mix it with a bit of yogurt it would help... Hummmm... Might try that tonight.

mini said:
Sadly it's not identical to sour cream. :( It's too sweet and too thick. I find it closer to cream cheese. For some uses such as in sweet things it's a fine substitute for savory food.... not so much. :( I wonder if you mix it with a bit of yogurt it would help... Hummmm... Might try that tonight.

Agree. Casancrem is in no way identical to sour cream. I make a mock sour cream by taking either yogs or Dahi natural yogurt and adding lemon juice and salt to it (the yogur escurrido sold at arabic delis is great for this, the best I've found actually). Tried it with casancrem and it's passable, but not as good. Even finlandia was a bit closer to sour cream (but thicker) than casancrem. FWIW, Finlandia is my substitute for philly cream cheese and it's not bad!

I´ve found Mendicrem suave (the blue container) to be the closest thing in taste and texture to sour cream, especially if you just mix it up a bit before serving, which makes it nice and smooth.

MizzMarr said:
Agree. Casancrem is in no way identical to sour cream. I make a mock sour cream by taking either yogs or Dahi natural yogurt and adding lemon juice and salt to it (the yogur escurrido sold at arabic delis is great for this, the best I've found actually). Tried it with casancrem and it's passable, but not as good. Even finlandia was a bit closer to sour cream (but thicker) than casancrem. FWIW, Finlandia is my substitute for philly cream cheese and it's not bad!

The yogur escurrido is yum!! I'll try to add some lemon juice in the natural yogurt for tonight and see how that goes.

I like the finlandia with some spices as a veggie dip. That's yum too. It seems I'm hungry!

Lala said:
I´ve found Mendicrem suave (the blue container) to be the closest thing in taste and texture to sour cream, especially if you just mix it up a bit before serving, which makes it nice and smooth.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it again. But I'm not convinced. :)

BTW, I just came back from Dona Clara. Love it. Super fun & has everything you want & more. Well, except, cheese cloth. LOL. I didn't buy the cuajo as I still have some left. But they do have it. They say it's for yogurt which I find odd. I've never used cuajo to make yogurt.

So, tonight I'm going to make banana bread with my old bananas & going to add the chocolate chips I bought at Dona Clara.

Buen provecho everyone! :)

mini said:
The yogur escurrido is yum!! I'll try to add some lemon juice in the natural yogurt for tonight and see how that goes.
Don't forget the salt! :) I hope it works out for you. That's my fave.

mini said:
BTW, I just came back from Dona Clara. Love it. Super fun & has everything you want & more. Well, except, cheese cloth. LOL. I

Buen provecho everyone! :)

I bet you could get cheesecloth on Lavalle, in those fabric shops concentrated down around Fac. de Medicina.

Buen provecho!:)

I've had a craving for cottage cheese... thought I'd try making some this weekend -- does anyone know / has anyone had any luck on where to find cheesecloth?

thanks!

syngirl said:
I've had a craving for cottage cheese... thought I'd try making some this weekend -- does anyone know / has anyone had any luck on where to find cheesecloth?

thanks!

Sorry, I never did look again. I was thinking though you could use some of those cloth funnel/filter things. If you can find one of the bigger ones.

Back