Cottage cheese

The galpon is ok but their dairy selection cannot compete with most local cheese shops (theres a great cheese shop nearby on the corner of Cordoba and Newberry). I once bought feta at the galpon that was vile (and not feta)...the other cheeses there I tried there were okish.
I also have a strong suspicion that the free range eggs they sell are not free range. There's an organic, hippy type market (very small) on Cordoba and Dorrego every saturday and friday where you can buy free-range eggs and a small selection of veg, etc. Their eggs are brown, orange yolks....amazing. The galpon eggs, however, look (and taste) like the average supermarket battery hen eggs. It's made me suspicious of the whole thing!

Gpop????? what is the problem of Romanian stuffed cabbage? The only thing that you cannot get here are the sour cabbage leaves, but those are SOOOO easy to make! We have onions, cabbage, ground pork, bacon((((or try finely diced salami....Que RICO!) tomato Dill is hard to find but soon I should have a fresh crop I will be happy to share. for sourcream use queso crema and cut it with a little milk and add a few drops of lemon juice....During cabbage season(when it is 1 peso kg or lately 1.50 I make about 10 lts of saurkrout...It's nothing more than cabbage and salt and about 3 weeks curing time..Saur cabbage leaves can be made with it in the same bucket, just cure it for a week or so....If I could only get some fresh goats milk here .......FETA!!!!TRUE GREEK FETA.....

james p said:
Gpop????? what is the problem of Romanian stuffed cabbage? The only thing that you cannot get here are the sour cabbage leaves, but those are SOOOO easy to make! We have onions, cabbage, ground pork, bacon((((or try finely diced salami....Que RICO!) tomato Dill is hard to find but soon I should have a fresh crop I will be happy to share. for sourcream use queso crema and cut it with a little milk and add a few drops of lemon juice....During cabbage season(when it is 1 peso kg or lately 1.50 I make about 10 lts of saurkrout...It's nothing more than cabbage and salt and about 3 weeks curing time..Saur cabbage leaves can be made with it in the same bucket, just cure it for a week or so....If I could only get some fresh goats milk here .......FETA!!!!TRUE GREEK FETA.....

The cabbage I can deal with (sort of... if my wife doesn't object to the stink it will create in the fridge :p , and if I can find enough room in there), but there's one thing that I cannot find here; Leuștean ( or Lovage in English). I have not been able to find it here and it is an integral part of how I remember it.
I have to psych myself up to it too. When my family makes rolls they get the really really big pot out and its loaded to the top with the rolls and krout... the cooking goes on for hoooouuurrrsss.

:rolleyes: I'm hungry now.

Gpop,just a thought .If El Gato Negro does not have "levistico" maybe a reasonable substitute is Maggi which is based on lovage ? In Europe lovage is called the Maggi Plant for that reason.

Ashley said:
The galpon is ok but their dairy selection cannot compete with most local cheese shops (theres a great cheese shop nearby on the corner of Cordoba and Newberry). I once bought feta at the galpon that was vile (and not feta)...the other cheeses there I tried there were okish.
I also have a strong suspicion that the free range eggs they sell are not free range. There's an organic, hippy type market (very small) on Cordoba and Dorrego every saturday and friday where you can buy free-range eggs and a small selection of veg, etc. Their eggs are brown, orange yolks....amazing. The galpon eggs, however, look (and taste) like the average supermarket battery hen eggs. It's made me suspicious of the whole thing!

There ins a shop that sells organic chickens on Guimas btw Jerranamo and Diez. He also sells eggs and I've assumed they were organic. The chickens are excellent.

if the lovage or maggi are not available at el gato negro(if they do have it, it will be dried.....they carry no fresh herbs) try apio seeds..(they do have these).just heat them up in a dry pan over a low heat...keep shaking the pan. then add a little water and let it steep.......works for me( use the tea as the whole seed will be a bit strong and wont really mix well throughout.....The cabbage leaves should not be kept in the fridge while they are fermenting......keep them around 70.o F.......remove the leaves in whole from the head of cabbage , wash and dry....pound them a little on a counter or cutting board with a wooden rolling pin.add i tablespoon salt per kilo of leaves between the leaves and place in a bucket or flat bottom dish and weigh down with a plate and a rock(or something heavy) let set about a week and a half for cabbage rolls....For saurkraut this is the same but you cut the cabbage finely and remove the core pieces and let ferment for about 3 or so weeks.....you can add some caraway seeds to the saurkrout before you ferment it and you have a Bavarian style of kraut

Back