Count your change!!!

Maryeliza said:
I dont mean to tar every Argentinian with the same brush, but please be aware that some of them will want to scam you - especially when its obvious you are a foreigner! This morning at the subway ticket desk, I gave $100 peso note because that is all I had, I bought two tickets, I was given a wad of notes back. In $2, $5 and $10. Usually you grab the change and run - but thankfully I was in no hurry, and I decided to stand at the counter and count the change. He had short changed me by $50 pesos!!! I was so shocked at the cheek of this, I just looked at him and made a noise, and he throws another $30 pesos at me. Which I then responded with "No! mas" He then gave me the rest of the change he owed me.
This has also happened to my boyfriend too. So just be aware, always count your change!!!

I don't care what the rest say about this being an isolated incident or the other way happening (getting back more than you gave) more than what just happened to you. The FACT is, as 9/10 foreigners who live here will attest, the typical porteno culture is to steal as much as they can get away with from foreigners. Not all, but most will try...taxis, small stores, supermarkets, shops, restaurants. My advice is to always count your change and once you find reputable shops you should stick with those...but still even so, always count your change. The rest of you don't like this negativity. Well, suck it.

As an writer of probably more negative comments than positive on this forum, I thought I would take a moment to make at least a semi-positive post :)

This is something I've rarely had a problem with. I always count my change - I was taught from a young age as well to ensure that I always received back what I was expecting.

Many here (though not so much in supermarkets) will actually count out change in the old-fashioned way. I.e., instead of looking at the cash register to see what change they are supposed to give back, and then handing the customer an uncounted wad, I watch them go through the process of making change. A 25 peso tab with a 100 peso bill gets me "5 makes 30, 20 is 50 and 50 is 100" for example.

Of course there are individuals who will try to take advantage of you whenever they can. I do believe there are a greater percentage here than in many places I've been throughout the world. Not trying to diminish those instances when it becomes really aggravating to be the victim of an attempt at such brazen actions!

What I really love is when I am the recipient of more change than I'm supposed to get back. This has happened to me quite a few times, usually when the clerk is not making change, but rather reading the register and doesn't quite count correctly, or maybe two bills got stuck together. I've been handed back as much as an extra 100 peso bill before.

I love the profuse thanks that I get when I return the extra change. Not very many people would do that, Argentine or foreigner. May have even saved a few jobs :)

ElQueso said:
As an writer of probably more negative comments than positive on this forum, I thought I would take a moment to make at least a semi-positive post :)

This is something I've rarely had a problem with. I always count my change - I was taught from a young age as well to ensure that I always received back what I was expecting.

Many here (though not so much in supermarkets) will actually count out change in the old-fashioned way. I.e., instead of looking at the cash register to see what change they are supposed to give back, and then handing the customer an uncounted wad, I watch them go through the process of making change. A 25 peso tab with a 100 peso bill gets me "5 makes 30, 20 is 50 and 50 is 100" for example.

Of course there are individuals who will try to take advantage of you whenever they can. I do believe there are a greater percentage here than in many places I've been throughout the world. Not trying to diminish those instances when it becomes really aggravating to be the victim of an attempt at such brazen actions!

What I really love is when I am the recipient of more change than I'm supposed to get back. This has happened to me quite a few times, usually when the clerk is not making change, but rather reading the register and doesn't quite count correctly, or maybe two bills got stuck together. I've been handed back as much as an extra 100 peso bill before.

I love the profuse thanks that I get when I return the extra change. Not very many people would do that, Argentine or foreigner. May have even saved a few jobs :)

Yes, I've done the same on a few occasions in a few years. It's just priceless to see the expression of amazement on their faces.

ElQueso said:

My first day here in BsAs I purchased some clothes on Av. Florida. A very attractive woman was the Manager (Encargada). They gave me back too much change. I counted and returned to them the 50 pesos difference. They were shocked.

The same manager married me 18 months later. :D:D:D

LostinBA said:
The FACT is, as 9/10 foreigners who live here will attest, the typical porteno culture is to steal as much as they can get away with from foreigners.

Sorry, I disagree with your "facts" 100%.

GS_Dirtboy said:
Sorry, I disagree with your "facts" 100%.

Really, how long have you lived here? Do you do business here? Maybe it's not 9/10 but the great majority of foreigners living here agree that this is more common here than any other country we've lived as expats. Have you lived in many countries? Lived, not visited.

There's one more thing...you are married to an Argentinian woman so basically everything is easier for you than us expats taking care of our own rents without guarantors, without DNI's, perhaps not speaking the language. You've got it easy compared to most of us. Realize that.

LostinBA said:
Really, how long have you lived here? Do you do business here? Maybe it's not 9/10 but the great majority of foreigners living here agree that this is more common here than any other country we've lived as expats. Have you lived in many countries? Lived, not visited.

I've lived in Argentina since mid 2006. I had my own business here for 4 years and I now work for an Global company that has divisions here. I've done real business here with Argentines since day one.

Over the past 25 years (not including my military service) I've lived and worked in London, Paris, Madrid, Munchen, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Geneva, and Milan. I did my MBA in Rome. I've done business in other West Euro cities

In addition, I've lived and worked in Philadelphia, Atlanta, Birmingham and San Diego. People are the same no matter where you go (can't speak for East Euro or Asia - never been there). Is there a percent that will try to cheat you? Sure.

But are most/all Argentines out to rob you? If your experience is "yes" then perhaps your "negativity" is attracting the type of people you don't want. :)

In the taxi they usually round in my favour. And then they get the tip.

The majority of the taxi drivers are friendly and honest, but some think they work as a sighstseeing guide, but without telling you.

LostinBA said:
There's one more thing...you are married to an Argentinian woman so basically everything is easier for you than us expats taking care of our own rents without guarantors, without DNI's, perhaps not speaking the language. You've got it easy compared to most of us. Realize that.

LostinBa, That's b*ll sh*t! First, she's Brasilian. We spent the first four years here as dual-expats. I know very what it's like to be out of your element as a foreigner. I also was able to rent without guarantors because the landlords that rented to me trusted me. I was the only person they ever did that with (they said).

Second, I worked my ass off to get my business off the ground and to keep it growing in an increasingly hostile regulatory environment. I also studied Spanish in every spare moment until I was fluent, and then studied Portugues until I was fluent.

Maybe you should keep your personal judgements to yourself until you know what you are talking about?

I love all of my Argentine friends, co-workers and of course my partner. Most have treated me very nicely, with love and care........HOWEVER small business people in Argentina, while not all, MOST in my experience are unscrupulous and very unaccomodating. The times I have gotten change back in my favor, and other things that go unnoticed, well me, I would never give it back to them. That is for all the times I've bought something and it broke, and they've refused to exchange it, spoiled food that they wouldn't refund, and general nasty attitudes by cashiers and retail personnel. I call it my personal "ajuste de cuentas". It's my own very perverse method of payback.......

Back