Counterfeit Bills and Magic Mustard on Your Head

Chicago Jordan, SkiBunny, et al:

FORGET about trying to screen your change in a dark taxi, in rush hour traffic!!
Just get YOUR OWN change BEFORE hailing the cab. You should NEVER TAKE any bills from a cabbie. TAKE WHAT YOU NEED IN EXACT CHANGE!!! At most, receiving $5 or $10 back is not that risky.

All these cases against tourists are confirming that MANY cab drivers are into STEALING by making xerox copies of bills on their own.

If the city govt. were on the ball, it would exert (it´s right) it´s OBLIGATION to monitor public services, stopping cabs for ramdom checks of all their bills, meters, IDs, etc.

Break your large bills at any store, restaurant where you can safely scrutinize it in daylight,so you can claim right there for any torn/fake bills. You should always have over $100 in smaller bills, and even having the required exact change, don´t use it up at a safe place: ask for more change and stock up on it.

If you have no change and need a cab, just buy a Coke or candy at any 24h kiosko or minimarket, and break your bill BEFORE THE RIDE.!

Well, the only times I ever really lose track of how much money I'm spending is at a nightclub. In those cases, I always put about 40 pesos in 10s and 20s in my shoe. This is also nice to do in case you get pickpocketed or whatever during the day/night.

I would walk home before trying to pay a taxi with 100 pesos. :p

... and I'd bet you that if you tried to break a 100 or a 50 at a kiosco, they'd probably refuse the sale.

It just seems inevitable that I will run into a situation where I need to take a cab and only have a 100 peso bill on me. If that situation arises, I will demand that the driver turns on the cabin light or moves to a less busy street if traffic is the issue. If he refuses both, I will be extremely suspicious of the change he gives me....no matter if I pay with a 20 or a 100 peso bill.

Taking precautions to prevent the opportunity to be scammed or pick pocketed is the best way to avoid these types of situations. Putting money in the shoe is a great idea, as is taking an odd amount of money out of the ATM to get some smaller bills. Thanks BAJoe, BradlyHale and Lee.

Funny enough, I just got a fake 20 yesterday from a cab driver. I paid with a 50 as the tax was about 30 pesos. I've gotten careless about double-checking the money. Worst part is it's not even a good 20 but b/c I was on the phone when I got to my apt, I didn't double-check my change. Pulled it out today to pay for something at the kiosko and realized right away it was a fake.

Stupid mistake and good reminder to ALWAYS check.

Back