Counterfeit Pesos

There used to be a lot, but I haven't seen nor been stopped at a store spending one in quite awhile either. Maybe I've been lucky.

I've never had a clerk somewhere reject a bill, once it was pointed out as counterfeit, I couldn't see as well that it was. They seem pretty obvious.

Even the best counterfeit I've ever seen was still easily spotted by the watermark. They're never as detailed as the originals and definitely look a lot different when viewed from the other side of the bill.

Probably a 95%+ method for spotting counterfeits. Anything better and clerks are likely to not spot it either, on quick exam.

I got one fake 20 my second or third week in buenos aires and then haven't since. I check the strip quickly if I'm getting a 50 as change otherwise don't even bother checking.

I've never had a fake but two of my friends got fakes from the banco galacia on Av de Mayo.

Apparently that machine is well known for giving out fakes and the Hostels around there warn people not to use them.

I guess this is Buenos Aires and everything can happen, but how the heck can BANKS get away with giving out fake bills?

Do they just automatically re-funnel back into the ATM machine any cash deposits that may be made at the ATM without even checking? If that's the case, people can just deposit fake money, have it credited to their accounts, and the bank would never know the difference as those bills would already be in someone else´s pocession.

A friend told me she also got fake bills at Santander. Does anyone know what is the protocal in this case? Do you just go into the bank and scream at them until they do something for you? Probably useless anyway. Just suck it up?

Fake bills are a good source for tips at a restaurant that gave you bad service. Karma:p

Back