Covering my bases...

Gabriel Cortes

Registered
Greetings! I'm moving on January 18th to Buenos Aires. So far I have a place to live in Plaza San Martin (thank you Casa34), I'm taking Spanish classes at Ecela, working at Cisco Systems and I have a love of adventure.

I apologize, but I have a ton of questions:

- Is the bus (is there a subway system?) reliable?

- Is it easy to get a prepaid cell phone (can I use my iPhone?) or SIM card?

- Does Plaza San Martin have good supermarkets or will I need to travel to other areas? The pictures I've seen show Plaza San Martin as a nice place, is it that the case in terms of crime?

- What is the attire for everyday life? As a 43 year old male I do not want to look like a tourist but I also would prefer to not wear a suit every day either.

Thank you very, very much for your time. I look forward to meeting you when arrive.

All the best,

Gabriel

Gabriel Cortes said:
Greetings! I'm moving on January 18th to Buenos Aires. So far I have a place to live in Plaza San Martin (thank you Casa34), I'm taking Spanish classes at Ecela, working at Cisco Systems and I have a love of adventure.

I apologize, but I have a ton of questions:

1) - Is the bus (is there a subway system?) reliable?

2) - Is it easy to get a prepaid cell phone (can I use my iPhone?) or SIM card?

3) - Does Plaza San Martin have good supermarkets or will I need to travel to other areas? The pictures I've seen show Plaza San Martin as a nice place, is it that the case in terms of crime?

4) - What is the attire for everyday life? As a 43 year old male I do not want to look like a tourist but I also would prefer to not wear a suit every day either.

Thank you very, very much for your time. I look forward to meeting you when arrive.

All the best,

Gabriel

1) Yes, there is a 'Subte'-rraneo and many buses lines to can take you anywhere you wish with very cheap fares.

2) Yes, you need a SIM card pay as you go, no problem.

3) No supermarkets around in that particular area, mini-markets yes.

4) Casual and light, January is hot and humid over here.

In term of crime is not better or worse than others big cities around the world, caution and prevention will avoid any potential problems.

Welcome Gabriel and have a nice stay in BA.

The best Disco supermarket in CF (especially if you want imported foods) is close to Plaza San Martin.

If I remember correctly, it's on Esmeralda (just below/slightly downhill from Arroyo) near Libertador.

You do need to be careful, especially at night. This area is known as Retiro and is very close to villa 31.

steveinbsas said:
The best Disco supermarket in CF (if you want imported foods) is close to Plaza San Martin.

If I remember correctly, it's on Esmeralda (just below/slightly downhill from Arroyo) near Libertador.

You do need to be careful, especially at night. This area is known as Retiro and is very close to villa 31.

You can go to Carrefour Express, it's not big, but it's a good mini-market. It's at Rivadavia 999, this is next to 9 de Julio Av.

As I said before there are small size mini-markets around but not a supadupamarkets in that area.

The buses and subways are frequent and very cheap (for the time being) but take a look at a map: if you are going where I think you are going, all the places you want are within walking distance of each other. What to wear? YouTube will show you what people wear on the street and you know better than me what the dress code at Cisco might be. I'm glad you like adventure and I'm glad you are striking out away from the ex-pat ghettos but keep your wits about you at all times, okay? Welcome and have fun

I live in this area. Steve is right the Disco on Esmeralda is very close although their imported foods range is shrinking, and there are minimarkets all over the place.
Also laundromats, pharmacies and banks galore and heaps of restaurants that offer take away or eat-in.

Lucas said:
1) Yes, there is a 'Subte'-rraneo and many buses lines to can take you anywhere you wish with very cheap fares.

Just be carefull with pick pocketers ar subway. Don t show off electronics, here are too expensive.

Lucas said:
3) No supermarkets around in that particular area, mini-markets yes.

You have a supermarket at esmeralda between Libertador and Juncal.

Living in that area, I suggest you visit Dada, at San Martin almost Paraguay. Order for Lomo Dada :cool:.

Regards

Back