Craigslist, Garage sales, etc

markbsas

Registered
Even in the US you have to be very careful when trying to sell things to strangers whether it is through Craigslist, the newspaper, garage sale, etc. I gotta believe here it is especially risky. Any tips on how to make this process safer? What can we do to sell our stuff prior to leaving and how can we stay safe in the process?

Thanks!

Your safest options would be: Sell to people you know, hire somebody to sell out our stuff, or sell it on MercadoLibre to users with reputation.

Most people I have met do not give the address out until they have email from people. Some other people ask for a passport or DNI. I've sold things several times on Craigslist with no problem.

Oh yeah, and let me know what you have for sale! :)

Hey Mark,

We have recently held several garage sales in both our home and office and have also sold many items here, on CL as well as Mercado Libre. It was a great time and every one who came by was lovely (a few stray nutters - but harmless).
We were cautious though to have no other valuables in sight, always be at least 2 of us (and we also had our rottweiller handy (but out of sight) ;o) should on the off chance any trouble arise. Never did though and honestly we met loads of great people, had a lot of fun each time and sold a bunch of stuff.
That said I did once meet a guy (I had gone to buy some stuff he was selling) who just before I had gotten there had an Argentine couple come by and while one pretended to be interested in items in the bedroom the other was filling up their backpack with items in the living room. He only noticed all the missing items AFTER they left. He was alone though which I would not recommend.
Hope that helps a bit.

i just wrote a reply and it disappeared... I'll try and summarise...
I buy and sell a lot, and go in and out of a lot of homes as well as have people come to me.
There are companies that arrange sales - take a commission, put security on the door and promote the sale, though if you dont have much to sell they are unlikely to be interested.

craigslist - i have seen some very slack security - i wonder how these people have not been robbed - one paraguayan girl left me in her home while she opened the door for someone else, just after putting money in a drawer, in front of me with no precaution.
She took a silly risk and i would not be surprised to hear that someone stole it later.
When i have people here and i have to go down to answer the door to someone i ask them to wait in the hallway. Nobody gets offended, its just a sensible precaution.

I have had no negative experiences, touch wood, and i doubt you will, but be careful all the same.

Oh yea, and the mercadolibre thing - you can not control who buys something - a user with no reputation can not be blocked. Obviously you can refuse the sale afterwards, but then you'll end up with negative ratings, and in turn, no buyers

good luck, let me know what you're selling too!!

hi, I had a very good experience. twice. I will recomend you Fabiana and Claudia. Very well know in Zona Norte, for many years. they where recomended to me by an American family 6 years ago. They have a long list of costumers and selling everything off in one day. Plus they are really nice. they do not speak english but I would be glad to help. should you need their info, reach my mail and I will give you their cel and home number. they are very trustworthy. Mary

Back