Crash Bang Argue And Threaten.

Dublin2BuenosAires

Registered
Was in the car on the way to work this morning with my wife when a charming individual decided to drive his number 12 bus into the side of our car. Damage was relatively minor but expensive enough that we wouldn't want to pay for it ourselves.

We where in the outside lane on Sante Fe, we pulled up in traffic about half way up the length of the bus. He indicated and drove out into our lane leaving us with nowhere to go...couldn´t reverse, go fwd our out into the other flow of traffic. Took a nice whack out of the paintwork on the driver side.

We honked the horn and flashed him, I got out at the bus stop where he tried to ignore me. So, pretty angry at this stage I stepped in front of the bus and shouted at him through the front window. This got his attention. I pretty much asked him if he didn´t see us and if he was joking...he claimed ignorance of the whole event. Then my wife turned up, upset, he started saying to her it was her fault as she knows that when he indicates he is going to drive into our lane and it is incumbent upon us to move! ...which would have been best, but would have involved having some sort of vertical take off capacity. As yet we haven´t added vtol engines to the bottom of the car although I have often thought they would be useful. The worst extent of my verval volley was " me estas jodiendo ... estas loco " ...etc, nothing OTT, nothing physical.

A cop was on sight, fairly laid back. He coordinated the exchange of details, we handed over DNI and insurance details (my wife's) and the policeman made him hand over insurance, phone number, place of work (number 12 bus!) and DNI.

Here it got a little sinister. My wife was walking back towards the bus with him while he confirmed his details, the policeman stood with me. The guy quickly says to my wife that if I was her husban to tell me I should be more polite and that next time someone wouldn´t be as nice as him. He said, just remember that now I have your details.

My wife came back over to me and the policeman in tears and a bit shaken up. I drove her into work and thanked the policeman for helping us.

Now, having clumsily already whacked the other side of the car I know the damages will run to about 3000 pesos..weirdly at did almost the same damage myself attempting an ill advised maneuvre involving me, the car and a wall. I don´t know how seriously to take the little bus driving rat's threat. I do not react well to people threatening my family but am not so naive as to think that I am in a position to do much about it in BA. I don't want him or his pals showing up at my door if we go ahead with the insurance claim, or in any other circumstance.

What would you do? Make the claim? Can he get our address from license number, name and insurance policy details. He did seem fairly insidious and had a particular malignant look about him when he got back in the bus and drove off.

Am 50-50 between making the claim or sucking it up and opting for a quiet life. Incredible to even be considering option 2 but I never know how seriously to take these things here.

I honestly don´t think the guy will do anything. He was probably just " caliente ". As much as he has your details you have his. And to top it off a lot of people drive cars that are not theirs, so how could he know who is the actual car owner??? Bus companies go through hundreds of cases like this yearly, your situation is not any different, plus, you didn´t even punch the guy lol. Just deal with the insurance companies and forget about it.

File a claim, don't let a little angry bus driver intimidate you. You have to show strength or you will get walked on here - let the small things slide though or you will end up crazy.

OK, slightly more worried now seeing that using my wife´s name and DNI you can get our building address from a DNI lookup website.

Wow ! ....hmmm.

Don't bother to file a claim against the driver. Nothing will come of it. He's protected by the union. Hire a lawyer to make a claim against the insurance for the damages done to your car. Take photos and get an estimate and make the claim BEFORE repairing your car. Bus 101 hit my taxi with passengers in it. It was even difficult for my lawyer to make the claim against that particular union that owns the 101 bus line. It's been two months and I'm still waiting to collect the damages from their insurance company.

Don't bother to file a claim against the driver. Nothing will come of it. He's protected by the union. Hire a lawyer to make a claim against the insurance for the damages done to your car. Take photos and get an estimate and make the claim BEFORE repairing your car. Bus 101 hit my taxi with passengers in it. It was even difficult for my lawyer to make the claim against that particular union that owns the 101 bus line. It's been two months and I'm still waiting to collect the damages from their insurance company.

Claim against the driver's insurance policy? Yes, thats what we would do if we make the claim. I will call into the police station later as I forget to get the name of officer at the scene. I don't believe he will add much but in any case I would feel better having his name.

Don´t worry. There´s not such a peril as you think. Your insurance will claim over linea 12 ´s not driver´s insurance. This is the problem. Insurance co. related to bus co are hard to pay. May be you´ll be lucky

He certainly does not need a lawyer for this. This is administrative stuff he should just contact the bus line´s insurance and move on with it. Your situation was different as you cab is public transportation and you had injured passengers involved.

Claim against the driver's insurance policy? Yes, thats what we would do if we make the claim. I will call into the police station later as I forget to get the name of officer at the scene. I don't believe he will add much but in any case I would feel better having his name.

Think like an Argentine Dublin! You def do not want any police or police names, trust me, that could generate other issues like bribes, etc and nobody wants the police in the middle for something as small as this, just my 2 cents.

We´ll make the claim, if it gets paid out fine, if not we can live with it. No big deal. I am happier that we won´t claim against the driver, my main objective here is not to see his rotten little face lingering outside my apartment one day.

I know I am being paranoid, I guess I am a little sensitive to people threatening my wife.

Back