Crashed Macbook :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend Josh MacDaddy 100%. He came over my place and did some work on my iMac. My Macbook pro had the same issues as yours.
He installed some programs on my iMac. While he was here we had a power outage. He came back the following day to finish the work.
Very responsible & reliable. Forget the other guy. I met him once,... he works on PC.
A fellow expat I met told me he gave him his laptop & never got it back. My 9 year old iMac is what I'm using right now.
I took the MacBook back to NYC in 2013 to see if it could be repaired. But it's beyond repair.

Forget the other guy. I met him once,... he works on PC.
A fellow expat I met told me he gave him his laptop & never got it back.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In 2013, my HP secondary laptop was overheating severely. Ricardo [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)](nic[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]....notebook.fix [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]on this forum) [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]showed me photos of the inside of the device which was riddled with carpet [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)](mine as I recognized the distinct color) lint. He replaced the hard drive with a Toshiba brand. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I had also asked him to upgrade the system from Windows XP to version 7. He did the installation and provided me with back-up disks. In total time he had the device for 7 days. His work was more than satisfactory.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]About 6 months ago a fellow expat related to me in person a similar account "[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]of laptop repair dealings with Ricardo[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]". [/background]My reply then, as it is now, is that the person should post their version of the events on the forum. The person in question would have the opportunity to offer an explanation. To date, I have yet to read such a post from the member who "continues to feel wronged". I am willing to venture you and I are referring to the same forum member.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]D.B..... we know each other in person. I consider you to be a well-meaning person with the best of intentions. With all due respect, I consider any third-party information of this type to be hearsay. But as it stands today, it becomes a rumor which I think it's unfair to any vendor who provides services to our expat community.[/background]

Any details on what's wrong with it?

If it's specifically a problem with the disk, it'll still turn on but will show a grey screen with a question mark. I have a new 256Gb SSD that I bought and didn't end up needing for my wife's MacBook, if that's any help. Replacing it is easy, no special tools are required. ifixit.com is a great resource.

You can check the disk health in recovery mode by holding [cmd] + [r] when it starts. If it doesn't get that far it could be something else; I've had two logic boards that developed faults had had to be replaced.

I agree with gracielle. Ricardo is 1000% trustworthy, he repaired my and my employee's hardware many times without a hitch. Repeating hearsay is very dishonest.

Furthermore: Josh. He once came to repair my comp (before I discovered Ricardo). Very very sweet guy - super liked him. But he couldn't do it. It was too big a problem for him. So guess what? He's the one who referred me to Ricardo, saying he's great for hard hardware problems.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]D.B..... we know each other in person. I consider you to be a well-meaning person with the best of intentions. With all due respect, I consider any third-party information of this type to be hearsay. But as it stands today, it becomes a rumor which I think it's unfair to any vendor who provides services to our expat community.[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

The fellow expat who didn't get his laptop back is John Doe. Not hearsay. You can ask him about it yourself.

Hi, first of all thank you all for the support - indeed it's great to read the above comments. I also recommend Josh McDaddy, I couldn't recommend someone more dedicated and caring when it comes to the specific services he provides. But as MorganF pointed out there are times of course where the issue is a hardware/electronic problem that can only be resolved by changing electronic surface mounted components etc.

99% of my work these days is on macbook pros and their logic boards - micro-electronics 'surgery' basically speaking, and this is also the case with the work I do on hard drive data recovery etc. So, to clarify, my work is 99% macbook electronics, when your macbook is dead after liquid damage, no green light, hard drive failure or your display stays black etc etc, I'm the person who loves to work in micro soldering, not all motherboards are repairable but more often yes.

When you take your macbook to a Mac service center here in Buenos Aires there is a chance that it will come to me as I do the electronics repairs for some of them.
Back in Australia most of my work centered around apple macbooks & hard drive data recovery but when I first started offering my services here in BA I had to fix all the PCs too, so it's commonly mistakenly assumed that I'm 'THE' PC guy...not so.

Thanks again for all the positive comments.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]D.B..... we know each other in person. I consider you to be a well-meaning person with the best of intentions. With all due respect, I consider any third-party information of this type to be hearsay. But as it stands today, it becomes a rumor which I think it's unfair to any vendor who provides services to our expat community.[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

The fellow expat who didn't get his laptop back is John Doe. Not hearsay. You can ask him about it yourself.

Hi DB, how you doing? I looked for this John Doe you mentioned but cannot find him under this name here - can you clarify his Identity please?
If someone didn't get their laptop back it could only be because they did not come back to pick it up. I've been living and working in the same location for almost eight years.

Seems from your public post that you are implying that I have engaged in some sort of property theft, that's pretty serious. Is this what you are stating? I'll be standing by for your reply.

Thank you.

I looked for this John Doe you mentioned but cannot find him under this name here...

You're not doing your reputation any good with that statement. A computer technician who can't perform a simple user search?

I found the name "John Doe" within 15 seconds of reading your comment.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

You're not doing your reputation any good with that statement. A computer technician who can't perform a simple user search?

I found the name "John Doe" within 15 seconds of reading your comment.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

You're never one to miss the chance when you can huh :) ?
Thanks for your comment, at first I did a search for John Doe on the home page & I got zero results. Now it's all over the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back