Crba And Us Passport For Baby..how Long Does It Take?? Help

One last thing, make sure you have everything on the checklist and have as much physical presence evidence as possible. I have my high school and university transcript and my old passport. So I hope that's enough, good luck

http://argentina.use...y.gov/crba.html

Delivery of CRBAs

All documents are printed in the U.S. and then delivered via DHL, typically within 20 days. Applicants must visit the DHL branch at Avda. Cabildo 1209, Buenos Aires, to arrange payment. We strongly recommend visiting DHL before appointments in order to obtain an airway bill sheet with a tracking number. Visiting DHL after your appointment may result in delays.

Bon Voyage !

We just got back from the embassy, let me explain the process.

Our appointment was scheduled at 10:30. My wife and I and baby arrived at the front of the embassy at 10:15. We went straight up to the blue window for USA citizens, which is the first window on the left. I call it the blue window because all the visa Windows have yellow numbers above the window and this window has a blue sign above that says us citizens, pretty straight forward. We handed in our appointment acceptance email.

We entered the embassy and entered the big waiting room. They told us window 17. We had to take a number for us citizen services, the numbers are near the front of the room in front of booth 16. There are two rolls of numbers but one is for services and the other is for notary or something else, if you have any questions just ask the other people. We waited for about an hour, several people were in front of us who had lost their passports. We finally were called to window/booth 17. They asked for all the paperwork found in the checklist and we handed everything in. If you have everything in order and filled out, everything should be ok. They asked for evidence and I turned over high school and university transcripts and my old passport.

We then went back to the waiting room and waited for them to call us by name, after another thirty minutes they called us to booth 12. I paid the fees and then we waited again. After another wait they called us to booth 16. The embassy worker reviewed all our paperwork, we then signed a couple of forms, swore an oath and he said we were good to go for our Babies passport, CRBA, and SSN. We turned in the DHL waybill that we bought last week and he said you will receive everything in two to three weeks. I asked does that mean we will have in hand everything in two to three weeks and he said yes.

So to answer your original question, two to three weeks. Just some advice, the worker was happy that I filled out a detailed history of my time in the USA. He said a lot of people don't do that, and it helps to be as detailed as possible with as much evidence as possible.
We plan on flying during the week of the 13th, in four weeks, but I imagine we could travel a week earlier.
Good luck

If you have everything in order and filled out, everything should be ok. They asked for evidence and I turned over high school and university transcripts and my old passport.

Thanks for all the detailed answers, it helps me feel better. I have 2 tickets (highway patrol), my high school and university transcripts but they say unofficial as they were e-mailed to me, my high school diploma which is apostilled, my old green card that says I was a resident since 2001 (I´m a naturalized citizen) and my passport I hope these papers are enough!

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] Just some advice, the worker was happy that I filled out a detailed history of my time in the USA. He said a lot of people don't do that, and it helps to be as detailed as possible with as much evidence as possible. [/background]

When I filled the form where it says 24. Precise Periods of time in the United States I wrote the time I lived there 2001-2010 and then every time I enter Ex: June 01,2011 - june 10, 2011, August 10,2012 - August 12,2012, and so on... I tried to write as much as I remember as I travel constantly. Did you write more info somewhere else?

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]The embassy worker reviewed all our paperwork, we then signed a couple of forms, swore an oath and he said we were good to go for our Babies passport, CRBA, and SSN. We turned in the DHL waybill that we bought last week and he said you will receive everything in two to three weeks. I asked does that mean we will have in hand everything in two to three weeks and he said yes. [/background]

I read that is U$100 for the CRBA, U$105 for the passport...how much for the SSN? Do you know if you pay in pesos if they take the official? Do you pick up the docs from the DHL or from the embassy? I know I know lots of questions haha!

I hope you have a great Christmas :) is also my baby´s first and I want to spend it with my fam as I only live here with my hubby.

How much for the SSN?

The name of the appt is something like CRBA/Passport/SSN. They looked at me like no one had ever requested the social security card at their appt. They referred me to SSA desk and then told me that the CRBA/Passport had to be completed first....in our hands.

I (not so kindly) pointed out that the appt notes that the Social Security Card is included. It didn't really matter...we were in the US a few weeks later and had the 'pleasure' of spending a couple hours in the 'lovely' Social Security Administration office.

NOTE: You might want to request the Apostille on the CRBA straight away. I spoke with State Dept about an Apostille for the one I had that was issued three years ago and was told they would not do it...and even if they did it was $50...the same price as a new one. I didn't believe the 'friendly' clerk, but it didn't matter since I didn't really want to send from Argentina to Wash DC. You also can't order again at the embassy. It's free to Apostille if requested with the CRBA.

The CRBA wouldn't be of much use abroad without the Apostille (at least that covers many major countries....Italy, Spain, Uruguay just signed on in the last few years (Canada is a notable exception)... I can't think of any reason having an Apostille would be an issue should you ever show it in the US.

The name of the appt is something like CRBA/Passport/SSN. They looked at me like no one had ever requested the social security card at their appt. They referred me to SSA desk and then told me that the CRBA/Passport had to be completed first....in our hands.

I look through my appt and it doesn´t say anything about SSN. I sent them an email asking about it and also asking how much longer will it take if I want the CRBA apostilled as I´m in a little bit of a hurry.

I paid with a Wells Fargo debit card and paid 205. I think I heard another person that paid with pesos and it sounded like the rate was the official exchange rate around 9 pesos. But don't take my word for it, I'm not sure.

I also was worried about the SSN form and didn't even fill it out or take it to the appointment. On the Buenos Aires CRBA checklist they make no mention of it, so I thought I would follow their checklist. On other embassy CRBA checklist they do mention it. However I had nothing for SSN.

Yet during the "turning in of all the documents" the embassy worker asked me if I wanted to do SSN as well and I said yes why not. She handed me a paper and I filled it out in five minutes and that was that.

So I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure you mention you want the passport, CRBA and SSN.

Nice.
Yet during the "turning in of all the documents" the embassy worker asked me if I wanted to do SSN as well and I said yes why not. She handed me a paper and I filled it out in five minutes and that was that.

So I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure you mention you want the passport, CRBA and SSN.

Nice. Maybe we caught them on a bad day. Sounds very easy now. My wife and I are both from the US. They looked at us like we were crazy when we asked for an SSN.

We went ahead and bought our plane tickets for December 13th. Our appointment at the embassy was on Nov 16. That's 27 days between embassy appointment and plane travel. I'm hoping and calculating that that will be enough. Oddly enough if your appointment is on the 25th of nov and you fly on the 21st of December that's 26 days in between. So strangely we have very similar situations. I'll be sure to update as soon as we receive everything. Good luck to us all, come on DHL

Back