Credit cards for temporary residents? Building credit history?

This sounds like a royal obstacle course.

Another reason why Argentina is going no where fast.

It stands to reason that foreigners with money are locked OUT OF THE SYSTEM. And if that's the case, money can't be freely injected into the domestic system to stimulate the economy. It's a fact, people spend much more when using plastic.

According to Santander they don't issue to temporary residents. I have one as a temporary resident but this is basically Santander doing a favor to the company I work at as they are a big client. When I first went to apply for the card they dismissed me out of hand. My company's HR department had to intervene. Surprisingly they now offer me all kinds of loans, not that I plan on taking them up on the offer.

Credit would be handy here. I looked into it also but was told it was impossible.

It would be nice to just charge everything and transfer money once a month to pay the bill. Several times I've had to wait to purchase something because I didn't have enough pesos in my checking account.

Good to know and worth checking out for sure! If I recall Macro had/ has a banking product for rentista visa holders that made it quite unique.

As I was told at Macro Offices they receive your SS checks convert to pesos at official rate and credit it to a peso savings account, plus a debit card. Maybe has changed Now...?

I was not able to get a Debit Card before I was a permanent resident, I tried then.... for 3 years. Charges to Foreign CC are debited at Official or CC estimated Rate..?

Credit would be handy here. I looked into it also but was told it was impossible.

It would be nice to just charge everything and transfer money once a month to pay the bill. Several times I've had to wait to purchase something because I didn't have enough pesos in my checking account.
The real perk is being able to buy on cuotas and multiply your discount on the peso. Example spend $5000 (US$30 blue today) at Jumbo and pay $416 (US$2,60 blue today) a month for the next 12 months on an interest free promo and by the last cuota you’re only paying like $1,30 a month thanks to devaluation.

The real perk is being able to buy on cuotas and multiply your discount on the peso. Example spend $5000 (US$30 blue today) at Jumbo and pay $416 (US$2,60 blue today) a month for the next 12 months on an interest free promo and by the last cuota you’re only paying like $1,30 a month thanks to devaluation.

yes this too

But actually being able to buy stuff online is the real perk, like airline and ferry tickets. And I'm not able to do that either, need to wait another 6 months or so to have permanent residency and then maybe.

But actually being able to buy stuff online is the real perk, like airline and ferry tickets.

Basic local savings account (caja de ahorro) comes with a debit card that allows you to buy online. I think nowadays pretty much every online store accepts debit cards.

Trying to play on currency exchange rates using your credit card is not the most effective way to do it. It just tricks you into consuming more stuff.

Yes debit cards and also a MercadoPago account can be used for most online purchases (which you can link to a debit card, CBU or simply top up with cash at a Rappipago or similar)

another benefit , you cash your dollars at the cueva and deposit into your debit card , to buy online at Blue dollar rates..

Back