Cross-Country Pension Contributions - Do They Apply Here?

wongjoh

Registered
Does anyone know if/how American social security benefits accrue when working here in Argentina? Are there any cross-countries agreements for pensions, (retirement) benefits, and such?

I, for one, work en blanco and pay all the taxes, retentions, pensions, and social contributions under the Argentinian sun, and would like to see some of those go to the benefits I'd get in the US.

Wonder if anyone has experience with this or has some informed answers

Thanks!

Does anyone know if/how American social security benefits accrue when working here in Argentina? Are there any cross-countries agreements for pensions, (retirement) benefits, and such?

I, for one, work en blanco and pay all the taxes, retentions, pensions, and social contributions under the Argentinian sun, and would like to see some of those go to the benefits I'd get in the US.

Wonder if anyone has experience with this or has some informed answers

Thanks!

If you're declaring income and paying taxes in the States, presumably you would be paying into Social Security. Are you self-employed?

This may or may not be relevant, but a Dutch friend of mine has spent most of his working life in Chile, and is eligible for almost nothing in Holland.

Well, to the US, I declare foreign income earned in Argentina (I'm employed, relacion dependencia), but the taxes paid in Argentina would result in no tax payments in the US (as I'm on a higher tax bracket here than in the US). There is no double taxation between the US and Argentina, as I understand it (not that I want it)

If you're declaring income and paying taxes in the States, presumably you would be paying into Social Security. Are you self-employed?

This may or may not be relevant, but a Dutch friend of mine has spent most of his working life in Chile, and is eligible for almost nothing in Holland.

You are exempt from US taxes up to approx 90K +/- income. After that there is a formula that incorporates SSI and Med and etc.

Wongjoh, one can be living and working anywhere in the world, and to be eligible for own countries pension, one has to contribute to it.
For instance, a Japanese living in the US most of the year and contributing to the US Social Security but then also to the Nipponese system then now eligible to " double " benefits. So start contributing to the US system, you may get lucky to see the day of your pension.

Wongjoh, one can be living and working anywhere in the world, and to be eligible for own countries pension, one has to contribute to it.
For instance, a Japanese living in the US most of the year and contributing to the US Social Security but then also to the Nipponese system then now eligible to " double " benefits. So start contributing to the US system, you may get lucky to see the day of your pension.

I understand that. I guess my question is if I can "divert" my Argentinian contributions to the US via some inter-country agreement

(I can already hear the whole forum laughing at me)

When I was only paying taxes in Argentina I think I still paid my Social Security for the US... I think that's your only option.

When I was only paying taxes in Argentina I think I still paid my Social Security for the US... I think that's your only option.

Are you sure? Can you explain a little more? How does it work?

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion

OK but this is not really what I was asking. What this URL says is that if you work abroad, you are only taxed in the US if your income exceeds a certain amount ($90K). What I was asking if if there is a way to legally claim/divert/attribute social/pensions contributions paid in Argentina to the benefits in the US, via some inter-country agreement

One way this could work is if, by being American, I don't have to pay social contributions / pensions here in Argentina, as long as I pay them in the US.

Again sounds like a really long shot, but thought of asking ...

Back