What do pedestrian crossings mean in CABA?

Aron

Registered
Background - a couple here for a few days, staying for three months from around NYC staying in Las Cañitas.

What’s the deal with crosswalks/zebra crossings? I can’t figure out what they are there for. Clearly most drivers who see pedestrians continue driving, some speed up as pedestrians cower waiting for a car to turn to make a break for it.

I need to understand how to safely navigate these. I also am curious on whether this has changed over time.

So- I’m missing some cultural and historical context. Are they vestigial of different times? Is it like many cities where migration leads to lowest common denominator driving courtesy/obedience

Background - a couple here for a few days, staying for three months from around NYC staying in Las Cañitas.

What’s the deal with crosswalks/zebra crossings? I can’t figure out what they are there for. Clearly most drivers who see pedestrians continue driving, some speed up as pedestrians cower waiting for a car to turn to make a break for it.

I need to understand how to safely navigate these. I also am curious on whether this has changed over time.

So- I’m missing some cultural and historical context. Are they vestigial of different times? Is it like many cities where migration leads to lowest common denominator driving courtesy/obedience
There's a big, marked pedestrian crosswalk near our apt. I remember commenting to an Argentine woman standing beside me basically wtf, these cars have to stop but they don't. They don't even think about it. She said to me something like, don't create a problem.

The other day I was crossing the street, in another crosswalk, and a car almost hit me. But not only did the driver almost hit me, but then he had the nerve to blow his horn at me, as if I were in the wrong. I yelled very loudly, which caused him to stop, and then I proceeded to use some very choice language with him.

I have a car and drive in the city, so I know it's difficult, but the arrogance of many baffle me.

Last edited:
To be fair if all of the drivers followed the rules the city would be gridlocked.
You’re also supposed to wait until all pedestrians have crossed before turning.
In practice this would mean very few cars crossing at junctions like libertador.
I give priority to cyclists having lived in Copenhagen it’s just a normal thing.
The look of surprise on cyclists faces is quite amusing.

For me aside from pedestrian crossings the worst is at roundabouts where no one has a clue how to deal with them causing cars to be stopped on the roundabout.

Fortunately there’s not many/any(?) in the city.

Cars are easier to see, but delivery bikes rushing through can be dangerous. Get hit on a foot and hope you have good medical coverage.

It literally is the jungle: both drivers and pedestrians are horrible, they do whatever and wherever, drivers won't stop and pedestrians ( a big % ) will jump in the middle of the street out of nowhere totally oblivious ( and entitled ). My favorite is when mothers push down their kids strollers down the street while they wait on the sidewalk. Bikes are a whole different chapter. It really is wild and dangerous, never trust anyone.

To be fair if all of the drivers followed the rules the city would be gridlocked.
You’re also supposed to wait until all pedestrians have crossed before turning.
In practice this would mean very few cars crossing at junctions like libertador.
I give priority to cyclists having lived in Copenhagen it’s just a normal thing.
The look of surprise on cyclists faces is quite amusing.

For me aside from pedestrian crossings the worst is at roundabouts where no one has a clue how to deal with them causing cars to be stopped on the roundabout.

Fortunately there’s not many/any(?) in the city.
I don't think all cars have to wait until every pedestrian has crossed before they can turn because it would create gridlock as you mention, but there are too times when many drivers don't give priority to the pedestrian when they should.

Last edited:
I don't think all cars have to wait until every pedestrian has crossed before they can turn because it would create gridlock as you mention, but there are too times when many drivers don't give priority to the pedestrian when they should.
CABAs theory tests says so

You know you've been living in Buenos Aires too long when you find yourself at a pedestrian crossing abroad waiting for the cars to pass, even waiving them through lest they suddenly change their mind and accelerate on you while you're mid-crossing.

One thing I have started to notice in my neighborhood are more "prioridad peatonal" road signs at crossings, however, usually they are erected behind trees making them invisible to anyone but the pedestrian. But I guess it is the thought that counts.

i had a bus get so close to me once crossing alem i reached out and slapped the front in anger. the driver looked at me like i was insane. i mouthed F You to him, i think he understood haha.

Back