Cubiertos? What's The Deal?

Boomersic

Registered
How do you deal with "cubiertos" when going out to dinner?

Some say...

1) It isn't the waiters/waitress' fault, so still tip him/her well? 10%
2) Its plain ole robbery! Take it out of the tip? 5%

Thoughts?

Pay the cuiertos and stop biaching. It's not the waiter's fault. You would have to be really cheap to take it out of the waiter's tip. If you don't like paying the cubiertos (which I think are expensive) than order the food to go.

What about when the waiter charges for an infant that is on your lap most of the time, who does not even eat the bread, or touch the "cubiertos"?

I take it out of the tip. Can't they just build that 5-20 pesos into the damn food or drinks like they do in the nice restaurants? It's incredibly annoying, it's like when you go to a nice hotel and they charge you for the wif. Drives me nuts

For those of you out there who blame the Italians for everything , this can certainly be blamed on them. "Coperto" started long ago , and was brought here . To OP:
1. Almost always.
or
2. When the bill is very large.

1) the "cubiertos" issue is a matter of one deciding on the ethics of the restaurant... with this item, they are hiding the real price for the meal.. they want to show they are less expensive than others. So it's up to one to decide in going to such restaurant (if you know beforehand about this), or getting up and leaving the place once the menu has been giving to you (where this item should be written somewhere).
2) the mozo is not to blame.

I don't eat out at many restaurants and when I do I make sure not to patronize any restaurant that nickels and dimes me for every little thing that should just be included in price of the food. Here, most restaurants like other businesses are NOT consumer friendly and don't realize that charging a few cents less or not charging extra for everything creates good will and you make that money back 10 fold in repeat business from satisfied and loyal customers. I once went out for breakfast and I ordered tostadas (some small pieces of day old toasted french bread in slices), with coffee and it said that the tostadas came with cheese and marmelade. I asked for just cheese and no marmelade because I don't like anything sweet in the morning. So she gave me the basket of tostadas, 8 pieces with one tiny packet of spreadable cheese. I asked for another and the waitress said she would have to charge me 5 pesos for an extra cheese packet. I was outraged and since I hadn't started drinking the coffee or eaten anything yet, I got up and walked out, they got really angry and said I can't do that and I have to pay, I said call the police and then they offered me another cheese packet for free! I kept walking for the door and just left - the nerve!

The clue is in the name! :) cubiertos from the verb "cubrir" - to cover, to cover up, to obscure, to hide :D

I feel the charge is fully justified when there is e.g entertainment maybe piano etc. So no complaints there.

Cover charges operate not just in Argentina or Italy. In the UK they exist and in many of the best restaurants (I'm not saying I am a regular patron!! :D

But my attitude is they have to be up front and mentioned in the menu including where this is posted outside the restaurant. Again no complaints there because there is no attempt to obscure.

I have a totally anglo-saxon attitude to tipping whereever I am and that includes taxis and just about any other situation. It is a bonus for good or at least acceptable service and that is to reflect the service from the establishment overall not just about whoever happens to come to the table. so if the toilets are unacceptable that gets mentioned and no or only a derisory tip. 10% more or less is my usual.

Some restaurants pool tips anyway. There was a big issue over this in the UK because 1. tax payable and 2. restaurants did not make it clear what is their policy - now most do explain whether the tip goes to the person waiting at table or is pooled either with the restaurant staff or simply goes to the organisation as a whole to be handed out as bonus.

If I find the cubierto is a nasty surprise at the end of an unpleasant dining experience then no tip and if i'm properly hacked off then its time to call the "manager" and let rip :mad: - and the "conversation" can be as loud as becomes necessary to make the point :mad: :mad: - depending on who im with of course! :wub:

Back