Culture shock when visiting home

redrum said:
what does it matter if i am argentine or american? i am truly amazed by the amount of aggressiveness and negativity on this forum.

if you continue to bitch and complain about argentina THEN LEAVE THE COUNTRY. it´s as simple as that. (reread this sentence a few times if it gets too confusing for you).

but you won´t leave. because that would be too much effort. it´s just easier for you to complain and wallow in your negativity.

Thank you Mr for defending us against these invaders who have destroyed the world and now wish to eat up Argentina alive.

if you continue to bitch and complain about argentina THEN LEAVE THE COUNTRY. it´s as simple as that.

I hate statements like this. They smack too much of blind patriotism, no better than those George Bush supporters that used to put up Facebook statuses like, "You don't like our government? Feel free to leave" and "if you don't stand behind our soldiers, feel free to stand in front of them." Critical thinking is a GOOD thing. Questioning and disagreeing with the status quo -- another GOOD thing. Differing opinions that lead to healthy discussion and airing of grievances? Yet another good thing! Every poster on this forum has his or her own reasons for being in the country, and his or her own relationship with it, but expecting them all to happily swallow the status quo, and to muzzle themselves if not, isn't just pie-in-the-sky, it's... not very healthy. And probably leads to drinking too much.

starlucia said:
I hate statements like this. They smack too much of blind patriotism, no better than those George Bush supporters that used to put up Facebook statuses like, "You don't like our government? Feel free to leave" and "if you don't stand behind our soldiers, feel free to stand in front of them." Critical thinking is a GOOD thing. Questioning and disagreeing with the status quo -- another GOOD thing. Differing opinions that lead to healthy discussion and airing of grievances? Yet another good thing! Every poster on this forum has his or her own reasons for being in the country, and his or her own relationship with it, but expecting them all to happily swallow the status quo, and to muzzle themselves if not, isn't just pie-in-the-sky, it's... not very healthy. And probably leads to drinking too much.

let´s not confuse bitching and complaining with critical thinking. i don´t see much critical thinking in this thread, just a lot of spoiled americans.

Here's the full post that starlucia just partially quoted.

redrum said:
what does it matter if i am argentine or american? i am truly amazed by the amount of aggressiveness and negativity on this forum.

if you continue to bitch and complain about argentina THEN LEAVE THE COUNTRY. it´s as simple as that. (reread this sentence a few times if it gets too confusing for you).

but you won´t leave. because that would be too much effort. it´s just easier for you to complain and wallow in your negativity.

This forum gives those foreigners who are here and in obvious culture shock a place to vent.

It also gives those of us who have been here longer an opportunity to help, even if it is only to tell someone where to find peanut butter.

And we all can share information about restaurants, immigration, apartment rentals, and so much more.

I don't care where redrum is from. It could be CHINA for all I care, but I think the "negativity" in this forum is healthy. If redrum doesn't like what he/she is reading he/she can leave this site to the rest of us.

If redrum really is truly:
redrum said:
amazed by the amount of aggressiveness and negativity on this forum
why follow with this:

redrum said:

I wouldn't call that negative.

It's condescending and rude.

redrum said:
let´s not confuse bitching and complaining with critical thinking. i don´t see much critical thinking in this thread, just a lot of spoiled americans.

At least now we know redrum isn't an American (and doesn't respect English (or us) enough to capitalize when appropriate).

Does anyone remember what "redrum" means?...if not, watch the movie "The Shining" www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/ .

Or google "redrum" and draw your own conclusions...if you are capable of critical thinking.:p

steve once again your posts are...........interesting if not slightly off topic.

also you prove once again that you are the ultimate hypocrite. you are easily one of the biggest bullies and thugs on this forum as it remains your only form of communication.

try googling bully, thug or hypocrite and see what you come up with. and you might want to put down the bottle first. it's easier to type that way.

redrum said:
steve once again your posts are...........interesting if not slightly off topic.

also you prove once again that you are the ultimate hypocrite. you are easily one of the biggest bullies and thugs on this forum as it remains your only from of communication.

try googling bully, thug or hypocrite and see what you come up with. and you might want to put down the bottle first. it's easier to type that way.

You apparently haven't noticed I don't stoop to calling people names or make personal comments about them or even groups of people (e.g. nationalities):

redrum said:

And it would take the biggest wimp in China to call me a bully.

(How many times have you tried to get me banned from the forum?)

I don't think I have ever seen a post by redrum that I could agree with until now. We don't need this self-appointed and self-important malevolent cretin constantly injecting himself in to discussions with the only apparent purpose of disrupting otherwise civil discourse with inane and intelligence insulting posts. Please find some other activity to fill your empty hours.

Philsword said:
I don't think I have ever seen a post by redrum that I could agree with until now. We don't need this self-appointed and self-important malevolent cretin constantly injecting himself in to discussions with the only apparent purpose of disrupting otherwise civil discourse with inane and intelligence insulting posts. Please find some other activity to fill your empty hours.

Just quoting to preserve this post...

(It's only 2PM. I'm not drunk enough yet to respond.:p)

As I said to redrum, "You apparently haven't noticed I don't stoop to calling people names or make personal comments about them."

Those who do speak volumes about themselves.

Back