Current Dental Prices

Is there no cheaper option for fillings /dental work? ELI5: how to afford $10,000 fillings.

Anybody know a dentist other than Pelcman who can speak English?
I visited 3 dental practices in the last 3 weeks. The female...maybe the daughter at Pelcman.....took the type of xrays needed for an implant. Not the type needed for a routine exam. I did NOT need a transplant nor did I want to discuss an implant. She had her mind set on my 'cure'. And...there was one cavity that was so obvious that I could see it when I smiled...ugly black little devil. She never saw it or cared about it. Nope...she wanted to do a DOUBLE implant. And the office was totally COVID unsafe....really weird in these times. I ended up with Dr.Doctor Borchex in Recoleta. Le recuerdo los costos a abonar:- limpieza: $ 14.000. Dr. Borchex is expensive. And his office is sterile as a hospital....including booties. I had two problems that each could have been a lot of work....new bridges and/or implants, etc. He took additional Xrays....he said I cannot find one thing wrong in the area of your mouth where you feel discomfort. Nothing. Pelcman and another dentist had me all set for heart surgery. Borchex....he took the time to explain my whole mouth to me.....it was like being back on Rodeo Drive.

I visited 3 dental practices in the last 3 weeks. The female...maybe the daughter at Pelcman.....took the type of xrays needed for an implant. Not the type needed for a routine exam. I did NOT need a transplant nor did I want to discuss an implant. She had her mind set on my 'cure'. And...there was one cavity that was so obvious that I could see it when I smiled...ugly black little devil. She never saw it or cared about it. Nope...she wanted to do a DOUBLE implant. And the office was totally COVID unsafe....really weird in these times. I ended up with Dr.Doctor Borchex in Recoleta. Le recuerdo los costos a abonar:- limpieza: $ 14.000. Dr. Borchex is expensive. And his office is sterile as a hospital....including booties. I had two problems that each could have been a lot of work....new bridges and/or implants, etc. He took additional Xrays....he said I cannot find one thing wrong in the area of your mouth where you feel discomfort. Nothing. Pelcman and another dentist had me all set for heart surgery. Borchex....he took the time to explain my whole mouth to me.....it was like being back on Rodeo Drive.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Could you please clarify? You say you had two problems (each of which could have been a lot of work) and that you feel discomfort, which Borchez seemingly could not diagnose. Are you satisfied with his service? Have you come away from the appointment still suffering discomfort and with two problems?

Separately, did he do a clean (the 14,000 pesos quote he mentioned). If so, what did it consist of? I ask, because prior to coming to Argentina I used to get a six-monthly clean from an excellent dentist in Lima, in which he would work solidly for an hour (front and back, top and bottom, twice) and I would come away completely satisfied. I never knew whether that was perhaps overkill, but it is certainly compares favourably to the recent experience I had here from the health provider, where the whole process took about 15 minutes and only really touched my front teeth.

Periodontist = Periodoncista
Every periodontist is a dentist, but not all dentists are periodontists. Periodontics is a recognized specialization in the field of dentistry that requires extensive formal training. He/she specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal diseases, that is, conditions affecting inflammation of the gums and areas surrounding the tooth structure to maintain jaw bone integrity. They also specialize in the placement of dental implants. Dental curettage is performed by a periodontist in cases where conventional dental cleaning is insufficient. If bacterial plaque has invaded the subgingival area or other areas that are difficult to access, root scaling or curettage guarantees a complete cleaning.

My periodontist (of 15 yrs) obtained an MS degree from the Dept of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Univ of Buenos Aires. He trained with Dr. Carranza at UBA. He practices in Moron (Prov de BA) and does not speak English.

Other listings of periodontists in CABA....not recommendations

Just got an estimate ("presupuesto") for my next root canal: $17,500 pesos. At current blue rate, US$82. Just as I remembered.

Got indignant - phoned my 20,000-pesos-amalgam dentist's office to complain, and am now waiting for him to call back.

Back