Current Prices for English classes?

citygirl

Registered
Any teachers on here that can let me know going rate for classes? A porteña friend of mine is looking to take some English classes and asked me what rates are.

Thanks!

A good, experienced teacher can easily be charging between 80 and 100 pesos per hour right now. This is if there is demand. I'm not suggesting someone new to private teaching try to charge that right off the bat.

I've been teaching for 2 and a half years here, and I recently upped my price from 80 pesos an hour to 90.

I'd be surprised if a decent teacher can live comfortably, independently of other income, and maintain a high level of teaching for much less than that. 100 doesn't sound unreasonable to me, given that two and a half years I was advised by experienced teachers to charge 80. With inflation that would probably be about 120+ now (I'm not a maths teacher).

I know Argentine English teachers who are charging the same and more, yet their English isn't perfect. Don't forget: if you're a qualified native teacher with experience here then you shouldn't undersell yourself. You're able to offer a premium service and should be compensated for it.

I know of a teacher who charges 120 an hour but it's to extremely high level business people. Others I know are around 60 pesos an hour with about 20 hours a week but it's less of a permanent job here and more of a working holiday for half a year with savings to cover other costs.

Half seriously, I am willing to have a conversation over coffee with someone if he or she can converse to me in Spanish in return... I do not get much of a chance to use some of the Spanish I am learning...

I know an Argentine qualified teacher who gets paid $100 by companies and she is asking them for more. I can't see how any competent person could charge less given current prices. $100 is far from expensive now that $100 pesos feels like $10 pesos 2-3 years ago.

sergio said:
I know an Argentine qualified teacher who gets paid $100 by companies and she is asking them for more. I can't see how any competent person could charge less given current prices. $100 is far from expensive now that $100 pesos feels like $10 pesos 2-3 years ago.

I try to avoid upping the price for as long as possible, as I don't like to pile more pressure on my students - we're all in the same boat, inflation-wise.

I think that coming from a country where inflation isn't high, I'm also a little uncomfortable asking for more money to provide the same service. That's something that I may need to get over pretty quick if I want to survive much longer out here (or rather get the money together to leave...).

SteveD83 said:
I try to avoid upping the price for as long as possible, as I don't like to pile more pressure on my students - we're all in the same boat, inflation-wise.

Not really... thanks to inflation and those annual 30% raises, Argentines that could not travel 3 years ago are now taking vacations in Europe, the US, Australia, etc. A lot of them are just kind of cheap, and don´t want to pay to learn English. It´s funny, I had a student who claimed he could not afford to pay more than 50 pesos per hour (once a week), but during class, had no problem telling me about how much he pays to order shirts from the US (plus customs tax), travel all over Europe, attend weekly concerts and football games, and dine out (and constantly asked if I was planning on traveling soon, as he wanted me to bring him back electronics and other goods.)

Anyway, to answer the OP´s question, I think that 80 pesos per hour is fair, especially if travel is involved. If a student wants to meet more frequently and/or will come to the teacher, I´d probably agree to 60 or 70.

You are crazy to charge less than $100 minimum. As the previous poster said, people are getting major increases. They can afford to pay more and you should feel no shame in asking for it.

Back