Customer Service in Buenos Aires

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
I have to say that my customer service experience in Argentina over the past 6 years has left much to be desired. While the rest of the modern world advances in service and responsiveness to customers Argentina appeared to have been completely mired in a "If you don't like it go somewhere else" mentality. That appears to be changing.

Last week I had a problem with my Movistar phone so I went to my local Movistar tienda. They applogized as their systems weren't operating ("Here we go, again," I thought). I was referred to the Movistar center on Cabildo in Belgrano.

The title over the door is Customer Experience Center. REALLY? I went in and, yes, they were extremely responsive and fixed my problem on the spot. High-tech and everything. That was a totally new experience!

Since Customer Experience is my profession I have my radar tuned to these things. It seems to me that, just like in other markets, as the consumer gets more powerful (knowledge through technology, access to options, elevated expectations) the smart companies are shifting to be more responsive.

In many places now you get 30 days to return your product. No, you can't open it, use it, wash it and then return it like some places in North America (effectively elminates the "But it doesn't work!" returns) But a 30-day return policy was unheard of here a year ago.

Baby steps.

Even though I haven't experienced a single positive thing here in Argentina in terms of customer service it feels great to read your story.

I am not saying you're wrong or anything but I just have a question and I am hoping the answer to that is not "yes", but, do you think movistar is trying to be "better" because of the recent government threat to fine them a gazillion dollars?

Second question is, do you really think they're starting to "get it" and hence getting better at pleasing customers?

Thanks for the Customer Service listing.

I had over AR$400 worth of credit on my phone that was to become inactive sometime while I was in the States for the last month. In the past, when you add new credit, then you get your old credit back. On Monday I landed, bought AR$30 at the Farmacity at EZE. (AR$30 or more automatically gives you an extra 50% even when they don't have bonus days.)

Well my AR$30 registered and then I received a message that I now had AR$45 credit on my account.

It should have said AR$463.71 or something like that, but... I had figured that I was out of luck. Your email actually gives me the slightest glimmer of hope. Slight, but it exists.

PS- Today is a TRIPLE YOUR CREDIT DAY with Movistar!!

nicoenarg said:
... do you think movistar is trying to be "better" because of the recent government threat to fine them a gazillion dollars?

Second question is, do you really think they're starting to "get it" and hence getting better at pleasing customers?

Can't say "yes" or "no" to the first question - just don't know. I will say a reserved "yes" to the second. The Argentine business owners that I talk to are (at least) now talking about it. I was a part of, and watched, the CX transformation in the States over the past 8 years and I'm seeing the same key indicators beginning to move here. My hope is that it will be viral; Kinda hard not to offer great CX - like a generous return policy - whey your key competitor is offering one.

1,2,3, whooppaaa, this thread will turn into posters proving the OP wrong.

ctru said:
1,2,3, whooppaaa, this thread will turn into posters proving the OP wrong.

You mean like the thread where people jumped on the poster who said she was cheated out of her money (until she forced the guy behind the counter to give her what he owed her)? You know, the one where people said she shouldn't say what she said, etc, etc, etc.

Right. Generalizations go both ways. Maybe try to hold your horses a bit.

Tangential rant not aimed at the OP or this thread per se:

I found the Argentine approach to "customer service" more realistic and human than the American. While it certainly left some things to be desired at times, it was more relatable. After twenty years in the US, it was a breath of fresh air.

As a Soviet person who was born into and spend the early part of his life in an entirely supply-side economy, where the buyer entirely needed the shopkeeper and not the other way around, so to speak, I can certainly appreciate Western-style consumer experience, no doubt. But in America, this concept has simply gone too far: the obsequious groveling of tip-dependent waiters, the fake, plastic smile of Walmart "people greeters" ("I sincerely hope you enjoyed your Walmart experience and that you come back soon!"), the completely farcical things minimum-wage "sandwich artists" are made to say by corporate policy at Subway, the degrading deference that janitors, cleaners and repairmen must show to patrons or customers, etc.--it's reached a point of absurdity, a tragic comedy, a caricature of natural human interaction, even in a mercantile context. I have lived in the US for most of my life, and I still feel uneasy and inwardly grimace at the awkwardness of minimum-wage service workers singing lyrical, impassioned encomiums to their devotion to my happiness, as if their job represented, far from just a shitty paycheck and mindless, repetitive tasks, a glorious opportunity to SERVE me! How may I be of SERVICE? All for me! Me, me, me!

It's degrading, it's humiliating, and it is insincere and farcical. I would much rather people err on the side of a little surliness than bend over in this surreal way. "The customer is always right!" they say. Bullshit! The customer is often straight-up wrong. I've been on the other side of that counter in a variety of ways, and sometimes, fuck the customer! Anyone who has ever worked retail knows this to be true, but it's what the suits train them to say in order to keep their jobs.

What I found in Argentina was a realistic stoicness whose authenticity matched the content of the job being performed much more intuitively. Sure, at some point it is still reasonable to expect that you're actually going to get your food, that you will be helped after standing in line. But I think the effete and pampered cretins that long for the rest of the world to "service" them like JC Penney floor reps or tired, overworked Walmart cashiers hopped up on anti-depressants (so they can maintain a more plausible "I am happy to serve you :) :) :)" orientation) need a reality check, and for the truly self-entitled, a good boot party. Waiters are not your bitches. The barber is there to cut your hair and get a paycheck, not lick your boots clean. Some Americans that go abroad really need to grow up.

Damn, I find myself needing to post another positive post!

I have to agree with GD_Dirtboy.

I remember when I first came here, it didn't matter if you were talking about small businesses, large businesses, or mom and pop shops. Customer service here was horrible, all the time, without end it seemed. Once I needed to do things for myself (as in, I was renting temporary apartments and had to deal with service providers myself), I encountered these issues and it was a big part of what made me realize how difficult things could be here, for what seemed like no real need.

One of my first encounters was with DirecTV. I had inherited an account from another expat, when I took over his apartment because he had to return to the States and let me assume his lease, back at the end of 2007 it was. Then we moved, and kept the account, but it was a bit complicated because the account was in his name. I got that, but the attitudes and complete lack of help in dealing with it were astounding to me at the time.

Since then, I've noticed (probably in the last two years) that DirecTV has improved their customer service by an incredible amount.

I've seen this in other big businesses as well. Not so much in smaller businesses, and mom and pop shops have always depended on the individuals running them as to what kind of service you get there. But I have seen some improvement.

I know you all are trying to keep things positive, but I honestly can't believe I'm reading this....customer service in Argentina, getting better? really?

Do you all dine out? The waiters take forever to approach your table, then take forever to bring you your drink, and so on and so forth. Fibertel took me two weeks to get an appointment, then when I had issues it took them another two weeks to come out. Cashiers bitch about making change for a 100 peso note. Ever flown Aerolineas Argentinas? Had any delays with them? Like EVERY damn time I flew with them. The list goes on and on...

You all are absolutely nuts if you think things are changing because of one experience.

Back