Customs - need help!

DanielaBsAs

Registered
Hi all,

As far as I understand customs charges for electronic items posted here from overseas can be tricky. The customs officials don't abide by any rule and you could end up paying 50% of the value, which is at the discretion of whoever you are dealing with (or something like that). Please correct me if I am wrong.

My issue is - I have a DSLR camera which is under warranty in Australia. It has a fault and I need to send it there (and have it sent back) if I want to get it fixed. What I am wondering is - would this fall under the normal category of shipping stuff here from overseas, or is there some allowance for receiving warranty items without getting taxed? Its hard to imagine there would be an allowance, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Any ideas or experience related to this little problema would be really appreciated!

Muchas gracias
Daniela :)

My guess is that it would be seized at customs on the way back. As soon as they spot electronics with the scanners, they will likely seize it and you may have to pay to get it back.

Before you ship it, I would consider taking it to a service place here in BA. If it is a brand camera, perhaps they will honor the warranty here (I know this works with some computer brands like Dell, Apple). Check the camera manufacturer's website for warranty info and locations in AR. If not, you can find out how much it will cost you out of pocket to repair it, which may still be less than the shipping costs to and from AU, and the fees you may pay. Just a suggestion... Good luck!

I saw something on the immigrations website about bringing goods in the country for personal use but having to register them with a particular agency, so that if you take them back out of the country they can verify it, or something or other. I know no one who actually does this other than Argentinians when they take their cell phone or computer out of the country they want to bring it back and not be accused of having bought it abroad. Anyway, I don't know any of the details but maybe by registering your camera you can avoid that.

There are Nikon stores in BA, however they do not honor any sort of international warranty. It is an absolute joke.

DanielaBsAs said:
Hi all,

As far as I understand customs charges for electronic items posted here from overseas can be tricky. The customs officials don't abide by any rule and you could end up paying 50% of the value, which is at the discretion of whoever you are dealing with (or something like that). Please correct me if I am wrong.

My issue is - I have a DSLR camera which is under warranty in Australia. It has a fault and I need to send it there (and have it sent back) if I want to get it fixed. What I am wondering is - would this fall under the normal category of shipping stuff here from overseas, or is there some allowance for receiving warranty items without getting taxed? Its hard to imagine there would be an allowance, but I thought I would ask anyway.

:)

I agree with those who say it will be held at customs, and unless you are good at "shmoozing" as well as lucky, you will pay a stiff duty (up to 85% of what THEY claim is the value) to reclaim it.
My advice is Fed-Ex (or DHL) it back if the warrenty is about to expire, but have them send it to someone in Australia and pick it up when you get back.

The only other idea I have (and I don't know anyone who has tried this so it may not be possible) would be to go to customs first and see if you can get it "pre-cleared" and get some document to support that.

Good Luck!

David

Back