Daily maid rate per hour

I have a different perspective on this. In my opinion housekeeping work is an extremely valuable benefit that brings calmness and order not only to my house, but also to the quality of life of those of us living in it. Aside from treating her with respect, I have always believed in erring on the high end of the pay scale.

In exchange, I have a very loyal housekeeper who prioritizes us, is always on time, is trustworthy, and takes pride in her work.

Years ago I asked a former housekeeper what she thought fair compensation should be. She told me she felt that an hour of work should be able to buy her a kilo of asado and I agreed. Over the years there have been moments where that amounted to $3 / hour. Currently it is closer to $6 and I'm paying her 5.500. Some may balk at this, but I feel good about it.

With a flat blue dollar that isn't in step with inflation, I feel the asado index is fair.

By the way, if anyone is interested I am happy to share how that asado index has fluctuated over the past couple of years:

1713800481729.png

Link to the asado pricing I use: https://www.cotodigital3.com.ar/sitios/cdigi/producto/_/A-00047979-00047979-200/

I have a different perspective on this. In my opinion housekeeping work is an extremely valuable benefit that brings calmness and order not only to my house, but also to the quality of life of those of us living in it. Aside from treating her with respect, I have always believed in erring on the high end of the pay scale.

In exchange, I have a very loyal housekeeper who prioritizes us, is always on time, is trustworthy, and takes pride in her work.

Years ago I asked a former housekeeper what she thought fair compensation should be. She told me she felt that an hour of work should be able to buy her a kilo of asado and I agreed. Over the years there have been moments where that amounted to $3 / hour. Currently it is closer to $6 and I'm paying her 5.500. Some may balk at this, but I feel good about it.

With a flat blue dollar that isn't in step with inflation, I feel the asado index is fair.

By the way, if anyone is interested I am happy to share how that asado index has fluctuated over the past couple of years:

View attachment 9724

Link to the asado pricing I use: https://www.cotodigital3.com.ar/sitios/cdigi/producto/_/A-00047979-00047979-200/
Wow the asado index shows a large leap since the end of Feb (I came back to the states to do some stuff around that time)... is that general inflation across the board, or is beef out of proportion? I had been reading that inflation rate is coming down.

I am local and pay 3,500 Argentine pesos/hour plus bus/train. I increase the amount monthly according to inflation. I consider that the current legal minimum wages are a shame for the current cost of living.

I share Stafford point of view; a good, loyal housekeeper is priceless.
Mine has been with our family for thirty years, first taking care of my sick mother, and now housekeeping for me. I'm happy to overpay her - she richly deserves it.

Last edited:
Wow the asado index shows a large leap since the end of Feb (I came back to the states to do some stuff around that time)... is that general inflation across the board, or is beef out of proportion? I had been reading that inflation rate is coming down.
I’ve found it to be fairly in line with other expenses. A true measure would be a basket of goods. But mine is a basket of beef. 🤪 In all seriousness, yes, prices are about double in USD terms compared to where they were a few months ago. I’m of the school that everything was artificially low beforehand. Argentina is a rollercoaster though and if you live here long term, it all evens itself out in the long run.

Back