Daily URL - December 11th

webteam

Administrator
Saturday, 10 December 2011

buenos aires: barracas revisited, odds & ends[Line of Sight]
A neighborhood as large & complex as Barracas has a number of elements that don’t fit into any of the previous categories. Rail networks divide the neighborhood, but the stations themselves are...

Friday, 09 December 2011

Tigre[Katti99]
Tigre has always been a very popular destination for a day out of the busy and noisy city. It is situated in the Paraná delta in the north, about half an hour drive in car/train or collectivo (60)....

The 118th Argentina Polo Open Final: Yet Another Superclasico in Palermo[InvestBA]
The battle for the final jewel in the Triple Crown of polo takes place this afternoon in Palermo, and history repeats itself at the 118th Argentina Polo Open Championship. The two favorites going in,...

Common mistakes travelers make in Buenos Aires, Argentina[LandingPadBA]
Traveling to Buenos Aires? There are a few things you should know before arriving that may help save you a great deal of face or avoid a potentially life scaring, embarrassing situation. Here’s some...

Music for the Weekend: Hugo Fattoruso[The Argentina Independent]
This week's Music for the Weekend comes from Uruguayan born Hugo Fattoruso, whose bands El Trio Fattoruso, The Hot Blowers, Los Shakers, and Opa have entertained the Latin American music world for...

A Different Grain: Woodcuts, Artists, and Politics in Buenos Aires[The Argentina Independent]
Jessica Sequeira looks into the background of the artistic phenomenon of the woodcut, which first came to Argentina in the 1920s and has since made waves in the country’s politicised art world.

Farewell to Argentina’s Famed Grass Fed Beef[Discover Buenos Aires]
Posted in Foodhttp://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/12/08/143362233/farewell-to-argentinas-famed-beefNPR has a good story on the disappearance of Argentina’s grass-fed beef and the move to feed lots...

Thursday, 08 December 2011

New Bills Outlaw Street Vendors and Regulate Car Parkers[The Argentina Independent]
Lawmakers in Buenos Aires have passed laws which aim to stop illegal street vendors, as well as another which will regulate car parkers. The new law on street vendors will prohibit fixed allocation,...

Holiday Traditions in Argentina[Seashells and Sunflowers]
The holiday season in Argentina kicks off on December 8 with the Feast of the Immaculate Conception (El Día de la Virgen) and runs straight through to Three Kings' Day (El Día de los Tres Reyes...

Argentina Futbol Champions Boca Juniors Open New Franchise In Colombia[InvestBA]
With college bowl season and the BCS debacle fast approaching in the US, the debate over who is #1 in college football (Hint: LSU) will soon commence. In Argentina, however, there is a consensus...

Roberto Arlt: Direct from Buenos Aires’ Underbelly[The Argentina Independent]
In an ABC of Argentine literature, you'd expect to find three of the hardest-hitting household names. Kate Bowen continues the Beyond Borges series with the author whose name is first on everyone's...

Hips Don’t Lie: Argentine Belly Dancing[The Argentina Independent]
Between tango halls and dance floors, belly dancing might be the last dance form you'd expect to find practised in Argentina. Cintia Dabes risks some shaky moves at Almagro's Academia de Danzas to...

2 Peso Coin Coming to Argentina[Discover Buenos Aires]
Posted in LivingStarting on Monday, December 12, 2011, a new $2 peso coin will begin circulation in Argentina. The current $2 peso notes will still be used as well. Looks like the government is...

Argentina to End Utility Subsidies[Discover Buenos Aires]
Posted in Livinghttp://www.argentinaindependent.com/currentaffairs/newsfromargentina/utility-subsidies-on-their-way-out-/A really good article from The Argentine Independent that explains the utility...

Happy Put Up Your Christmas Tree Day![Discover Buenos Aires]
Posted in LivingOk, so it’s not actually “Happy Put Up Your Christmas Tree Day” it’s the “Inmaculada Concepción de María” but still, everyone in Argentina uses this holiday to decorate their...

El rincón idiomático – You are so… hermosa?[Rabner in Argentina]
No word in the English language gives me more fits to translate and use in Spanish then the word for “beautiful”. Granted, I’m fully aware that we, in teh English language, have our own share of...

El rincón cultural – the tipping point[Rabner in Argentina]
So, as a foreigner in a foreign land, one of the most important things about getting used to living here is adapting to the mindset of a local and learning the everyday customs. One of these customs...

Wednesday, 07 December 2011

Brunch in Baires — A Plea…Heeded[Wander Argentina]
Sundays in Buenos Aires are sacred days reserved for food, family and fun. Locals linger at asados, drink mate in the park or stroll along the Costanera Sur. Although just a few years ago ‘brunch’...

Buenos Aires is "Empty" to Explore![Buenos Aires 4U]
Mar del PlataWhen arriving into Buenos Aires, you would normally hear the taxis horns honking as they weave in and out of the traffic and you would normally see hundreds of people rushing around the...

Incentives Could Make Argentina Cruise Season A Year Round Celebration[InvestBA]
Just before the official beginning of cruise season here in the Southern Cone, we explained how the season just keeps getting longer in Argentina and Uruguay. What used to be a tight two-month window...

El rincón idiomático – Yo, dude![Rabner in Argentina]
OK, so using a slang term in another language (or a swear word for that matter) is probably one of the hardest things to accomplish successfully. When you can do it effectively, without sounding...

Tuesday, 06 December 2011

International Artisans' Fair at La Rural[BA Travel Guide]
At the International Artisans' Fair ("Feria Internacional de Artesanias de Buenos Aires") over 500 craftsmen from Argentina and Latin America will show their talent, creativity and skills, with live...

What to do for Christmas and New Year in Buenos Aires (PART I)[Buenos Aires 4U]
Buenos Aires is a hot charming destination for Christmas, even though you won’t find huge Christmas trees or fancy lights with Santa Claus and Christmas decorations the city is perfect if you are...

Staycation: Argentina Summer Vacations Will Cost A Fraction of Brazil, Uruguay[InvestBA]
With summer vacations just around the corner here in the Southern Hemisphere, a Buenos Aires newspaper gives Argentines a sneak preview of how much they can expect to pay at various destinations...

El rincón cultural – Dude, where’s my car?[Rabner in Argentina]
You know when you’re driving to a place on a busy Saturday night and come to it and the dread you feel, after letting your wife, girlfriend, buddies, whoever off: you still need to find a place to...

El rincón idiomático – That’s corny![Rabner in Argentina]
One of the things I’ve noticed as I’ve grown older (though not that old yet!) is the reduced amount of energy I have, particularly at night. Maybe it’s the early morning alarm clocks (i.e. kids) or...

Saturday, 03 December 2011

91 year old Milonguero[La Milonga Del 126]
My 3rd Buenos Aires Tango adventure, Wednesday, May 11, 2011 day 93I had been hoping to interview 91 year old Milonguero Roberto Segarra for my video project, but hadn't seen him at any of the...

Friday, 02 December 2011

El rincón idiomático – Honk that horn![Rabner in Argentina]
Ok, I know I’ve done a kazillion posts regarding cars and driving in Buenos Aires but, as someone who fends for his life every day daring to walk and cross the streets of BA, I feel the need to do...

El rincón cultural – Lemme see your ID![Rabner in Argentina]
Just who are you anyway? When you travel somewhere, pay for something, are stopped by police among other things people always want to see some sort of proof that you are who you say you are....

Thursday, 01 December 2011

In Punta del Este, Growing Concern Fewer Argentines Will Be Coming Ashore[InvestBA]
A perfect storm of ARS:UYU currency weakness, recently imposed dollar conversion controls and looming fears Uruguay may soon be much less of a tax haven has many Punta del Este developers and...

New "Shopping" in Palermo?[GoodAirs]
It's hard to tell if this is hard fact or speculation, but it appears that the railroad yard between Godoy Crus and Juan B. Justo and Santa Fe and Paraguay -- where Casa FOA held its 2007 home design...

Wednesday, 30 November 2011

El rincón idiomático – Work, work, work[Rabner in Argentina]
Having been a full-time teacher for the past 18 years of my life it is strange this year not to have a full-time job. I’m so used to getting ready for classes, teaching, grading, etc. that to not...

el rincón cultural – celulares[Rabner in Argentina]
As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, the cell phone (in Argentina, it’s generally called a teléfono celular or, occasionally, a móvil) is such an everyday item that we take for granted that, when I...

Bubba’s Smokin’ Barbecue Joint[Discover Buenos Aires]
Posted in BusinessesFoodOk, so your immediate thought on reading the title of this post is, “What? Barbecue in Buenos Aires? Is it actually possible that we can get seasoned and flavored meats in...

Tuesday, 29 November 2011

El rincón cultural – Who ya gonna call?[Rabner in Argentina]
The telephone has to be one of the greatest inventions ever. The ability to be able to communicate by voice, which has changed markedly in the last century, is something we all now depend on and take...

Monday, 28 November 2011

Restaurants in Las Cañitas[LandingPadBA]
Las Cañitas has plenty of delicious, upscale restaurants. A walk through this celebrity-laden neighborhood will offer plenty of options for Argentinean cuisine, nice cocktails and tasty appetizers....

Restaurants in Palermo Hollywood[LandingPadBA]
Palermo may very well be the restaurant center of the city. There are tons to choose from in every nook of this expansive neighborhood and the hip area of Palermo Hollywood is no exception. Check out...

Restaurants in Palermo Soho[LandingPadBA]
Palermo Soho, the most bohemian of the areas in Palermo, offers a variety of dining experiences. From cheap parrillas to ethnic food and upscale erotic restaurants, Soho has it all. Check out our...

Restaurants in San Telmo[LandingPadBA]
Check out these delightful dives in San Telmo. If you don’t see what you’re looking for here, a stroll through the cobblestone streets will surely bring you to a wonderul spot for brunch, lunch or...

It Takes A Racimo: The Cluster As Key to Argentina Wine Tourism Success[InvestBA]
We have charted both record tourism levels in Argentina and the meteoric rise of Argentine wines on the world stage in previous posts, and one event just examined both trends simultaneously. The...

A Day At The Polo[Gringo Starr]
A couple of years ago I had three months in Buenos Aires and I made a list of things that I needed to do in the time I had available to me. Some may still pending (Feria de Mataderos I’m looking at...

Sunday, 27 November 2011

Marcelo Cocina Italiana[The Gill Family]
We have heard of this Italian restaurant, Marcelo's, in Puerto Madero from a few of our friends. As nice as that area is, we tend to go out to eat in other areas of town, if nothing else because...

Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Thai Treats at Cocina Sunae[.My.Beautiful.Air.]
La famosa Jessica, you may know her from her sultry smooth vocals and signature dance moves, and I met up for another closed door dining experience. This time we chose a BA underground dining...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Daily URL 0
W Daily URL 0
W Daily URL 0
W Daily URL 0
W Daily URL 0
Back