Damn ATM machines

Moonwitch

Registered
I don't know what is worse... ATM machines here or my crappy British bank debit cards.

Does anybody else get the constant problems of debit cards never working and/ or constantly being frozen by their homeland bank?

I guess I should be thankful it hasn't been eaten yet...

Moonwitch said:
I don't know what is worse... ATM machines here or my crappy British bank debit cards.

Does anybody else get the constant problems of debit cards never working and/ or constantly being frozen by their homeland bank?

I guess I should be thankful it hasn't been eaten yet...

Which Bank are you with? I was with NatWest and never had problems apart from the charges and the fact the "The Helpful Bank" insisted that they could not help with money transfers.
I am now with HSBC they transfer with no problems and do not charge for ATM transactions, even over here. There is still that stupid limit though, life will never be perfect inArgentina.:rolleyes:

Moonwitch said:

I am not sure if this is your problem, but if a bank has had a run of stolen cards or scanned cards in a country, they will watch/flag unusual transactions in that country. Eg: You might usually withdraw 100 pesos a day, and then you start withdrawing 300 a day. This might be flagged and a stop put on your card until you contact the bank and tell them that everything is ok.

Does your bank know that you are in Argentina? If you're having problems you should call and advise them that you are here, and tell your credit card company as well, otherwise you may find your cards cancelled as a measure of precaution against fraudulent charges.

Your withdrawal amounts in Argentina do depend on your daily maximum withdrawals as set by your bank at home.

I've been all over the world with my debit cards and the only problem I have had was with a scratched card.

You know it is funny you mention about banks putting a watch on my card. I was in Argentine for 8 months until they stopped in for the first time (4 in total). They said it was suspious that there was a withdrawal from Argentina. Great thanks, only I have been doing that since September. You didn't think of stoping it any sooner? I wasn't able to ring my bank today (NatWest) so I will have to do it tomorrow. I'm hoping they have just cancelled the card. The joke of it is when I was in the UK I had card fraud twice and they were so slow and awkard about it all. As soon as I get back to Blighty I am moving banks.

I like how the atm's across the city will be down all at the same time.

Moonwitch said:
They said it was suspious that there was a withdrawal from Argentina

So these people don't go on vacation then. If you're bank was any good they should have emailed you and asked first.

Moonwitch said:
You know it is funny you mention about banks putting a watch on my card. I was in Argentine for 8 months until they stopped in for the first time (4 in total). They said it was suspious that there was a withdrawal from Argentina. Great thanks, only I have been doing that since September. You didn't think of stoping it any sooner? I wasn't able to ring my bank today (NatWest) so I will have to do it tomorrow. I'm hoping they have just cancelled the card. The joke of it is when I was in the UK I had card fraud twice and they were so slow and awkard about it all. As soon as I get back to Blighty I am moving banks.

Natwest (in my opinion) are one of the best if you live, work and holiday in the UK, but if you want to do anything international they are pants.
I moved all my accounts to HSBC, but be aware, the banking system in Argentina is a one off.
I could have made some money if I had bet the girl in my branch that she could not open an account in Argentina for me. She insisted that she could, I even gave her the address of a branch near to my appartment, after an hour she admitted defeat.

Moonwitch said:

This happens a lot with both debit and credit cards, happened to me in other countires, as well as my own country. When I left for Argentina several years ago, phoned both my banks and my credit card companies and insited that the persons on the phone put a notation on the system that I would be travelling in South America indefinitely. They did, and I have had no problems since.

It is a good thing they do this, it is for our protection. If there is a change in use, even in the same country, the computer will authorize an investigator who will look at the acocount and make a reasonable decision. I remember being advised of this on the stuff they send you when you open the account, but ignored it until I took a long trip, and got suspended. Unfortunately, they do not have the resources to do a 100% job of notification when they do suspend. It is your responsibility to advise of any unusual change in activity expected, and get them to make a notation on the system.

Back