database comparing cost of living between 2 selected cities

perry said:
I am finally going to have to agree with you Goucho and this is a first for me . Vancouver BC like Sydney Australia are ridicously overpriced especially for the low quality constructions apparent in these two harbour cities.

Buenos Aires imho if you choose carefully has the best architecture on the planet for the lowest prices per square metre. Look at Congreso , Balvanera , and Monserrat for bargains.

Best architecture?! ok, that is too much of a stretch. There is a lot of nice, but there is MUCH more of crap. This stupid studios/condos are the size of a full size bathroom, you may think gnomes are living in Argentina. The old architecture may be what you are referring to, but new construction (70's and on) is very low quality and even dangerous in some cases. Did anyone ride in those elevators that only you and a mate can fit in, this only if you are 120# otherwise only one person fits on them, and I don't even want to go to the code issues...

syngirl said:
us$577 in an "expat area" -- oooh can I have one of those please? You can't even get an unfurnished 2br in an "expat area" for that.

I pay 2500 pesos for an unfurnished 2 bedroom place in las canitas.

I'd have to agree with Perry on the architecture compared to many of the cities we've been talking about.

And owning vs. buying is where expats with dollars/euro can do phenomenally well. We look at the million dollar crack shack in Vancouver. In NYC and SF a million dollars will buy you a smallish apartment in an OK neighborhood. In London barely that.

In Baires a million dollars will buy you a magnificent 700sqM plus French mansion in the best part of town with a pool and guard house. An equal home, if you could find it, would probably start at 10 times that amount in NY, SF, Boston, Paris, London, Vancouver. 5 times in second tier US cities.

jb5 said:
I'd have to agree with Perry on the architecture compared to many of the cities we've been talking about.

And owning vs. buying is where expats with dollars/euro can do phenomenally well. We look at the million dollar crack shack in Vancouver. In NYC and SF a million dollars will buy you a smallish apartment in an OK neighborhood. In London barely that.

In Baires a million dollars will buy you a magnificent 700sqM plus French mansion in the best part of town with a pool and guard house. An equal home, if you could find it, would probably start at 10 times that amount in NY, SF, Boston, Paris, London, Vancouver. 5 times in second tier US cities.

And don't forget the incredibly low property taxes in Argentina...

Jvanka said:
This stupid studios/condos are the size of a full size bathroom, you may think gnomes are living in Argentina. .
My impression too.

Before I was introduced to my present home, I saw umpteen numbers of others, and had to tell the agents that I already had a glove.

Jvanka said:
Best architecture?! ok, that is too much of a stretch. There is a lot of nice, but there is MUCH more of crap.
You overlooked Perry's " if you choose carefully" with that qualification he is right. A main problem is location: 'lousy concrete building', 'lousy concrete building', 'lousy concrete building', 'good architecture, 'lousy concrete building', 'lousy concrete building', 'good architecture, 'lousy concrete building', 'lousy concrete building'.

PhilipDT said:
You are emphasizing a general North American problem.

I remember when Arty used the expression "a lady" about some female who tried to steal his wallet, and also when we were discussion formal clothes, where several Norteamericanos seemed to think that anything not made of denim is a toxedo.

Jvanka said:
Best architecture?! ok, that is too much of a stretch. There is a lot of nice, but there is MUCH more of crap. This stupid studios/condos are the size of a full size bathroom, you may think gnomes are living in Argentina. The old architecture may be what you are referring to, but new construction (70's and on) is very low quality and even dangerous in some cases. Did anyone ride in those elevators that only you and a mate can fit in, this only if you are 120# otherwise only one person fits on them, and I don't even want to go to the code issues...

Actual fact Jvanka I prefer antique apartments with 45 centimetre walls and 4 metre ceilings , bird cage lifts and minimum 120 metres . Buenos Aires has some of the best architecture on the planet if you care to look along Rivadavia Avenue, Avenida Del Mayo, Hipolito Irigoyen etc etc.

In 5 years here I have not sold a property in Puerto Madero as I prefer to take properties that suit my energies .

Have a look at these two links below and tell me if you can see a similar property in a major European capital for less than 2 million dollars.

In Canada and Australia you would be very hard pressed to find anything remotely similar for sale.

The first property has been reserved and the second one is for sale for less than US $ 350,000.

http://www.remax.com.ar/181059-54

http://www.remax.com.ar/181059-84

Back