Dating in BA

I don't see any exception or speciality with the BA girls' attitude comparing my experience with other nations. Okay the "histericismo" is more likely with latino type, I can second that.

Personally I'm not bothered with entitlement or princess complex it just amuses me. It's pretty much the same everywhere, women want to be treated like a princess as a special one, should it be a one-night stand or the woman who'll hold your hands on your dying bed.

Except if she's after the money just take it as a game.

fvrconst said:
I don't see any exception or speciality with the BA girls' attitude comparing my experience with other nations. Okay the "histericismo" is more likely with latino type, I can second that.

That's what I'm saying, it's not that they're really that much crazier, it's just that it's more culturally accepted; furthermore most of us gringos are unaccustomed to it, and tend to blow it out of proportion.

polostar88 said:
Yes it's more excusable because they're not fat, but it still sucks.

I'm finding that it doesn't suck as hard when you get used to dealing with their antics. Hysterical drama should, for example, be met with stoic indifference.

CedarPawn said:
That's what I'm saying, it's not that they're really that much crazier, it's just that it's more culturally accepted; furthermore most of us gringos are unaccustomed to it, and tend to blow it out of proportion.

Me no gringo, soy húngaro. :) But see what you mean and agree it's just their mentality and personality. Fortunately there are many steps between the "cold and reserved as the Arctic skies" and the "fuck and fight at the same time" extremities.

polostar88 said:
But girls in Brazil and other parts of the world, like Japan, are also feminine, yet without being nuts like the Argentinian. I don't like women who yell, scream, throw fits, and make up all kinds of ridiculous, convoluted reasons to get dramatic.

I haven't had the luck to know brazilian girls but read many times their victory over the argentines. Maybe one day I'll find it out but I'm astonished in this amazing brunette heaven.

Japanese girls are cute but - I don't know where are you from - but they bring a completely different culture.

polostar88 said:
Yes it's more excusable because they're not fat

You're a true romantic Casanova, ain't ya? :D (no offense)

I think you are all speaking about "porteñas", especially from Palermo and around, and not Argentinean girls in general. Go to the interior of the country and be (pleasantly) surprised. Not Rosario, there histericismo runs very high. And for the OP, if you are over 35 I think it will be a little difficult for you (too much competition, too many young people to choose from), but I am not a girl so what do I know.

My girlfriend is from Moreno originally but she throws hysterics with the best of them - I think its part of the culture for sure - but then again I'm a bit nuts myself so it all seems to work out in the end - we both get drunk and forget about it and tomorrow is a new day :)

Whoa...lots of generalisations flying about...! Let me add some more :)

No, seriously. Although I've only been here a month and a half I've had plenty of conversations with people who have lived here a lot longer on this topic. I think the bottom line is that men here are used to being forward and having to push for what they want from women (3 guesses what that is!) and the women here are used to being cold and stand-offish (perhaps perceived as some of the adjectives above...?) because even merely talking to a guy who approaches them will make him think they are interested in going home with him. The men aren't 'different' to their counterparts from overseas, per se; they simply play the game differently. Men from other cultures will play along and take you out on a few dates in order to eventually begin romantic relations/get you into bed, whatever you want to call it, whereas men here will come straight out and ask for it as soon as they meet you. The good thing about it is that you know where you stand immediately; the bad thing is that it seems a little fickle that they happily accept that you don't want to go home with them and proceed directly onto their next conquest. But, hey, at least you haven't wasted any investment!

The thing I find it difficult to get my head around - I have heard this from expats and locals, alike - is that it's difficult to have a man-woman friendship as guys aren't interested in building a friendship. I miss my male mates! bmagda, I get the idea you aren't looking for friends so this won't be an issue for you! Just be wary of the vibes you are giving out in light of the cultural expectations - it is not a flirt with no action environment.

This is just my take on it but there are always exceptions to rules!

polostar88 said:
But girls in Brazil and other parts of the world, like Japan, are also feminine, yet without being nuts like the Argentinian. I don't like women who yell, scream, throw fits, and make up all kinds of ridiculous, convoluted reasons to get dramatic.

The American girl is the same, and has a very inflated view of her sexual market value, but the Argentinian comes close. Yes it's more excusable because they're not fat, but it still sucks.

Guys, can you take this kind of talk back to the "pickup artist" travel blogs? I discovered that whole world by accident while Googling about Buenos Aires. "Sexual market value" was a dead giveaway. OP is writing about how to find a nice guy to date, so let's not take this discussion to a place where we discuss how supposedly fat and horrible American/western women are. There are internet forums filled with lonely men who were unhappy in high school for that.

Back to OP--I agree, social circle connections are where it's at. It's how you make friends with Argentines too, or so people say. Rare to strike up a conversation with a stranger and make plans for later, whether in a romantic context or otherwise. The exception, of course, is the type of overeager Argentine fellow you were trying to avoid to begin with.

Aussiedancer said:
it's difficult to have a man-woman friendship as guys aren't interested in building a friendship.

Come now, Aussie, surely you don't really think there's any such thing as a platonic friendship between a man and a woman? There are only two instances in which this is possible: when the woman's already involved with a friend of mine, or she's too unattractive to be of more interest. One "friend" inevitably wants the other, and I'd bet my firstborn that unless you fall into one of those categories your "mates" had ulterior motives but simply lacked the elan to go for it.

Back