Dating in BA

Haha - CedarPawn, I half expected somebody to come back with this sort of comment and, whilst you may be right (although I do think there are some other scenarios in which a truly platonic inter-gender friendship is possible), the fact that many men in other cultures will 'settle for' a friendship, rather than completely disregarding your existence if you do not want to pursue anything romantically with them, kinda proves my point. Not that I think a friendship with me would be 'settling', mind you!

Aussiedancer said:
(although I do think there are some other scenarios in which a truly platonic inter-gender friendship is possible),

I have a really vivid fantasy so just out of curiosity, what are these scenarios in your opinion?

Aussiedancer said:
the fact that many men in other cultures will 'settle for' a friendship, rather than completely disregarding your existence if you do not want to pursue anything romantically with them

Of course there are wonderful personalities around the world simply just talk to but still there's a saying in my country "if there's no horse, the donkey will do".

Aussiedancer said:
Haha - CedarPawn, I half expected somebody to come back with this sort of comment and, whilst you may be right (although I do think there are some other scenarios in which a truly platonic inter-gender friendship is possible), the fact that many men in other cultures will 'settle for' a friendship, rather than completely disregarding your existence if you do not want to pursue anything romantically with them, kinda proves my point. Not that I think a friendship with me would be 'settling', mind you!

Of course I'm right. However, it seems I missed the real point you were making (which I do agree with) and for that I apologize. Based on what I've seen so far, it does seem like males here have at least partially and for now escaped the general neutering of Western manhood (of which I view the willingness to be a woman's platonic girlfriend as a symptom).

Out of curiosity, what circumstances do you envision in which it would be prudent for a man to be platonic "friends" with a woman (save taken or ugly)?

I've been reading this thread and the topic is interesting. However, as a local, I don't agree that it's hard to make woman-man friendships. Really, this really kind of puzzles me. I know a lot of friendships of that sort, and I myself (a man) have many female friends, and I'm hetero. So, I don't think the mentality of those men you were referring to (who just can't have female friends) is exclusive to Argentina. There are people like that everywhere.

Just my two cents. :)

fvrconst said:
I have a really vivid fantasy so just out of curiosity, what are these scenarios in your opinion?

Of course there are wonderful personalities around the world simply just talk to but still there's a saying in my country "if there's no horse, the donkey will do".

Something tickles me about the words 'fantasy' and 'donkey' being placed in the same quotation block. But I digress.

fvrconst, I'm not sure I want to be a horse OR donkey to any man! Gosh, I am starting to sound like the feminist that I am not necessarily!

I guess another scenario that I am thinking of is true for some of my male friends and I which is that we dated a couple of times and there was no chemistry there so a friendship progressed instead. Of course, I may be being naive with my assumption that they are happy about that outcome but it seems to have worked out fine.

Another naive comment may be that just because you are not 'ugly', as CedarPawn so diplomatically puts it, everybody is not necessarily going to find you attractive. I am aware that I am not everybody's 'type' - for example, if you are into the blonde bimbo type I am not your girl - so just assume that many who do not try it on with me simply don't find me attractive. Naive, no?

Santiago F, I am happy to hear that my generalisation is not necessarily correct for all local men. Some faith has been restored.

Aussiedancer said:
fvrconst, I'm not sure I want to be a horse OR donkey to any man! Gosh, I am starting to sound like the feminist that I am not necessarily!

There's nothing wrong with being a feminist. It just means choice! You can choose to be the horse or donkey or neither.

Aussiedancer said:
Something tickles me about the words 'fantasy' and 'donkey' being placed in the same quotation block. But I digress.

You should hear the rest when it comes to the sheep with the venetian mask and the waitress serving a Sex on the Beach.

Nonetheless, sure nobody wants to be a horse or a donkey it's just a saying. In my experience which correlates a bit what CedarPawn said, but still with other words maybe in a simpler way. "There's no friendship between man and woman, except a) both of them live in a perfectly satisfying relationship b) one doesn't find the other attractive".

Imho we can find many words to rephrase the b) like "no chemistry" but I'm sure we understand and think the same behind.

If you're single and you find an attractive single person, I don't see any logical or even emotional (aka illogical) reason why a healthy person wouldn't get to like/fall in love with the other one but say "Luv ya, but ain't no want to touch ya."

I don't appreciate the comments about American girls and their weight issues. My girlfriend is fat and I like it that way. Big girls are beautiful too!

I think while there are plenty of people from the US with weight issues, it's hardly confined to the female half of the population. :rolleyes:

As to the OP - meeting men will be no problem. Meeting good guys will be slightly more challenging! You increase the odds greatly in your favor if you are introduced to a guy by a mutual friend, know someone in his family or meet at a shared activity - sports or something like that. Meeting guys in clubs/bars will be easy but I doubt a lot of them will be there looking to meet a girl with whom to settle down.

Back