David Rooney is banned here - and this is why

Status
Not open for further replies.
My suggestion would be that when you delete people's comments or don't approve them for posting, you might want to email the poster an explanation. It would probably eliminate a lot of the confusion.

I know personally, I have posted things that were deleted and I have no idea why. Or I'll post something on a seemingly innocuous thread (such as Steve Jobs death) and get a comment that my post won't appear until it's been approved. And frequently, it never shows up and again, I have no idea how or why.

I don't have any issue with moderating a board and this board has been a great resource for many people. I applaud the admins for creating it and offer my comments in hope that it will continue to improve.

I'm not a regular poster here, but I do visit the site every 3 or 4 days and take a look at the main posts. Whilst I agree that there is a lot of useful knowledge on here, and amongst the main posters a lot of great advice, I find that the lack of moderation and the derails that happen in almost every thread off-putting and its the main reason I don't post here a lot.

I understand that posts such as "What's your opinion on XX?" are open to all sorts of interpretation and people have their opinions which they can express. However there are lots of posts here where people ask questions - I think the role of a forum like this one is to answer that question if you can. If you can't, keep out of it. A recent thread I saw was asking how to get ADD Medicine in Argentina and had some legitimate questions and concerns. Within 3 or 4 posts a couple of people were questioning the OPs motive for taking such medication. Some tried to answer the question, others added nothing to the discussion other than noise.

The ADD thread may not be the best example but I have seen many such threads - if the OP gets an answer amidst all the noise then fine, but I believe that for a forum to stay helpful (which this one most definitely can be) this sort of thing needs to be addressed at the site-level.

Like I say, I'm not a regular here but my thoughts may be helpful!

At the risk of not adding anything to the conversation....

and you guys say that the locals are dramatic! :rolleyes:

I think modding is necessary to keep the place courteous and clean, but the best part of this site is the free sharing of information and opinions, whether similar or different to your own. It would be a boring place to visit if it were simply a QA site with little flavor.

That said, complaing about the price of an event is silly. I admit that when I saw the post I thought the price was steep and as a result may be exclusive, but not every event planned is for everyone. Obviously the situation escalated more than it should have due to design.

I ran across the guy's website yesterday and I wasn't really that impressed. It seems like a cheap rip-off of landingpadba.com and baexpats.org.

Eclair said:
Obviously the situation escalated more than it should have due to design.

Yeah, probably it did. I'll just go on and summarize then what I wanted to say.

After you clicked "I agree" checkbox during the registration process, rules of the game are pretty much defined. If at some point you suddenly realize that you are unhappy with them, there is a way to resolve this situation as a decent person.

Blackmailing, threatening mods with negative publicity and doing all these SEO gimmicks,
creating a rip off site with a name that is clearly intended to lead to confusion,
and pushing your own commercial agenda under a false pretense of protecting the Freedom of Speech
is not something what a decent person would do.

That's basically it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back