Deal for pesos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to clarify 5.08 for dollar not 5.80 sorry for the typo

Vbkk said:
Just want to clarify 5.08 for dollar not 5.80 sorry for the typo

I was gonna say!!...

PS- You can go back and EDIT that post. It would be a good idea.

Vbkk said:
I would like to buy either 500 in dollars or in Euro and will pay 5.8 or 6.18 for euro. If any one interest to sell please PM me.
thanks

Are the posts on BAExpats binding?:cool:

Guys.....lets do some math here, so that everybody understand why the dollar is more worth than the CFK quote:

You are allowed to enter this country with 10.000 USD un-declared
(If you declare you can enter with more)

So, today we have an official dollar rate at 4.46!
The under the table rate is, in this second 5.20, (just checked where I normally sell dollars).

Thats a 16,59% difference between the official rate and the black rate!
If you enter this country with 10.000 USD you get 1659 USD more for your dollars than if you would go to the ATM and withdraw the dollars, (in pesos!), from here!
So, now you go to a travel site like Despegar and look what a ticket to USA or Europe cost! Then you will realize, that with an amount of 10.000 USD, you would pay for your flight and even have some hundred dollars over if you brought the money with you cash! (or have a friend or relative or whatever, bring it)
If you do this calculation with the true value pesos you get out of machine, which is around 4.20, this hole story makes you 23,80% or 2360 USD!

Therefore: Even that 2 Americans transfer larger dollars between their accounts outside of Argentina, the peso BUYER would be more than stupid to accept the 4.50 rate! (assuming we talk larger amounts as is indicated in the original post).

This is the reality, sorry!

I was just looking at an item a friend linked on Overstock.com. (Based in the States.)

The item originally popped up in Argentine Pesos at a cost of AR$867.03. But I wanted to quickly know what the US dollar price was, so I "changed currency/country" and it showed the dollar price as US$133.19.

So then I wondered what exchange rate they were giving, so I did this:

867.03/133.19 = 6.510 (6.5097229....)

Just to reiterate, a company in the States allowing purchases from around the world, has an exchange rate of:

US$1 = AR$6.51

That makes AR$5.2 look like a steal!!

Anybody interested in buying pesos or selling dollars at a reasonable price between the official and the blue rate feel free to PM me!
I do not trust "cuevas" enough to go and get dollars. Thou if someone has already done this and would like to recommend me a place i´d aprecciate tons! Any advice is welcome too :)

I just got AR$5.10 for my dollars and AR$6.60 for some euros I had lying around - and they came to my house to do the exchange. If anyone wants the contact info, PM me. (They were recommended to me by some other expats who have used them in the past.)

I would change them somewhere else, no need for anybody around to know you have cash 'lying around'

El chabon said:
I would change them somewhere else, no need for anybody around to know you have cash 'lying around'

I don't anymore! Bills need to be paid. :) Our building is pretty tight with security, but they were willing to meet anywhere, and came recommended.

I'm sorry. I guess I was naive not realizing that every foreigner living in BsAs had to enter the underworld and get involved in illegal transactions every single time they wanted money. silly me...

TERKILD said:
Guys.....lets do some math here, so that everybody understand why the dollar is more worth than the CFK quote:

You are allowed to enter this country with 10.000 USD un-declared
(If you declare you can enter with more)

So, today we have an official dollar rate at 4.46!
The under the table rate is, in this second 5.20, (just checked where I normally sell dollars).

Thats a 16,59% difference between the official rate and the black rate!
If you enter this country with 10.000 USD you get 1659 USD more for your dollars than if you would go to the ATM and withdraw the dollars, (in pesos!), from here!
So, now you go to a travel site like Despegar and look what a ticket to USA or Europe cost! Then you will realize, that with an amount of 10.000 USD, you would pay for your flight and even have some hundred dollars over if you brought the money with you cash! (or have a friend or relative or whatever, bring it)
If you do this calculation with the true value pesos you get out of machine, which is around 4.20, this hole story makes you 23,80% or 2360 USD!

Therefore: Even that 2 Americans transfer larger dollars between their accounts outside of Argentina, the peso BUYER would be more than stupid to accept the 4.50 rate! (assuming we talk larger amounts as is indicated in the original post).

This is the reality, sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back