Death of Peronismo? We can only hope.

I'm simply talking about my own personal experience, in the Nation's Capital, and twenty years ago. Have no idea what schools were doing elsewhere at that time. But this school was, and still is, THE top private school in DC.

Thank goodness my husband's firm was paying the tuition, or we would have been furious as well as amazed. But perhaps I should not complain: the school gave her what she needed to get admitted to the Ivy League university of her choice. And the study habits she learned there helped her graduate with honors. So who am I to complain if she still doesn't know where Murmansk is?

Some Nestor Kirchner Quotes:
I am honest and want to hear what the people have to say. I do not want to enrich myself in this job.
I want to rid the country of corruption and return our economic environment.
Well, it didn't work out...

I must disagree on this Sara.

I don't know how you can disagree with her personal, actual experience. Unless you are saying "I think you are making it up."

As for the Ivy league thing, it is pretty established that certain schools and regions are "feeder schools" to the Ivys and like the Ivys themselves, the reputations and history (no pun intended) often outstrip the actual education.

Johnny No Name with a 4.0, captain of the football team, school president, debate club etc., from his public school in the Ozarks is certainly going to have less of a chance to get into the Ivys than Susie Silverspoon withe a 3.0 coming out of Exeter. It is the perception that the 3.0 of Exeter has to be better than 4.0 Meadow Heights HS. in Perryville, Mo.

Even when you do everything in "white" and legal it's horrible here dealing with employee issues. For example, last year I had an employee get hurt on his own time messing around with motorcycles. He got hurt and the doctor said he couldn't work for 1 year! So even though he didn't get hurt on company time, we had to pay his full salary for 1 year and couldn't fire him.

Then you have employees just calling in sick all the time and as long as they have a doctor's note they are covered. But of course they can pay off any doctor to write a note.

Early: these all sound bad too, but just seem to go to my point about the firing problem. In fact there are many examples back home of the same thing especially dealing with Unionized employees. The NYTimes did an entire expose/investigation into LIRR train employees that all got "doctors" notes saying they could not work and were able to retire early (at say age 50) and still receive full pensions which are often based on past few years of work in which they inflate their hours through overtime rules ahead of the pension. (common practice among the cops and transit employees ahead of 20 year retirement) Many of these guys were making 100K+ sitting at home or golfing with their "bad backs".

Coming from NYC area none of the things here surprise me, it is pretty much par for the course.

Really, some very good comments on education. A good education system is essential in a democracy. Informed and educated voters make better decisions. With poor education you end up with all kinds of problems including politicians who take advantage of poor and uneducated voters. Examples of this are apparent throughout Latin America. Improving the education system here should be at the top of priorities here.
Well, scientists, that driving their intellectually sophisticated crap behind Monsanto and/or DuPont genetic research lab doors are not going to vote in any different way than farmer in Iowa. The same thing is for educated Argentineans.
Education has nothing to do in this case bc in each country each corresponding mass-media (heavily under control by groups of “special interests”) will continue to lie about everything and educated anthropologist will be just as screwed as his 4th-grade kid.
Politicians ARE lying constantly and making changes as they (their puppeteers behind scene) please.
Democracy is a History. The only democracy that could of work in reality – is open and direct vote in presence. Remember ancient Athens? Russian Novgorod’s “veche”? People were trying.
But there is no way that this could be allowed in modern days. Demographic and population levels are in enormous spread. Its simply unmanageable now. So, any “representation” is simply creates corruption and complications. And will continue to do so, no matter educated people got screwed or peasants.

pikto99 said:
Well, scientists, that driving their intellectually sophisticated crap behind Monsanto and/or DuPont genetic research lab doors are not going to vote in any different way than farmer in Iowa. The same thing is for educated Argentineans.
Education has nothing to do in this case bc in each country each corresponding mass-media (heavily under control by groups of “special interests”) will continue to lie about everything and educated anthropologist will be just as screwed as his 4th-grade kid.
Politicians ARE lying constantly and making changes as they (their puppeteers behind scene) please.
Democracy is a History. The only democracy that could of work in reality – is open and direct vote in presence. Remember ancient Athens? Russian Novgorod’s “veche”? People were trying.
But there is no way that this could be allowed in modern days. Demographic and population levels are in enormous spread. Its simply unmanageable now. So, any “representation” is simply creates corruption and complications. And will continue to do so, no matter educated people got screwed or peasants.

I must be one of those uneducated people I was talking about because I really don't understand what the point is that you are trying to make. Seems like you don't have much regard for people in general or their ability to make decisions when educated and informed. Seems like a rather pessimistic view of the world.

Back